Skid Plate for WR450?

:thumbsup: Well just purchased my 06 WR450, Took it out on the trails for its first ride completely stock, pretty gutless. Which by the way I did not mind to much while getting used to the bike (I moved from a TTR250). My question to the brain trust is this, I ride mostly in pretty rocky terrain. The plastic plate under covering the oil lines from the frame looks very vulnerable to say the least for the frame itself and case bottom. If I install the skid-plate will I have to remove it every time to do and oil Change? I'll throw this out also I have not done the mods yet but considering it seriously. I'm a little concerned it will be less manageable in the power department (remember I'm moving from the TTR)

The manual says to remove the stock skid plate while doing oil changes so i am assuming you would have to do that with an aftermarket one. And do the mods ASAP. You'll get used to it allot quicker.

Ya, thats what I was thinking also just wanted some input from someone that is has one installed and what kind of pain it is. Thanks for the reply.

I like this one...

clicky doodle

Great protection. Light weight and very strong.

I like this one...

clicky doodle

Great protection. Light weight and very strong.

Thanks, I have the Utah sportcycle for the TTR250 I agree they seem to be the best, but don't like the idea of having to remove everytime for the frequent oil changes. How long does it take you?

I have the gyt-r skid plate on my 05 450 good protection good look's and it uses the stock mounting holes (4 bolts) easy on/off no clamps or brackets to deal with. It has taken a few good shots and held up well. Order thru yamaha dealer pt# gyt-5tj34-sp-al $78.95 I think the 05/06 should be the same but don't kill the messenger if not. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I have the Utah sportcycle for the TTR250 I agree they seem to be the best, but don't like the idea of having to remove everytime for the frequent oil changes. How long does it take you?

Not a big deal. Oil changed in 30 to 40 minutes. Depending on how much mud I get into, I'll take off the skid plate to clean the bike. Sometime it's hard to get the mud out of there w/o taking it off.

Good luck...

Some skid plates - such as flat land racing and carbon fiber - have holes already drilled out to change oil. I agree that sometimes its necessary to remove the plate to wash out the mud but most times I keep my plate on when changing oil.

I have both the flat land and eline carbon fiber. Both are great. Not many folks use carbon because its not as strong and can crack. I have used carbon for two years and have had no problems though. I ride in the rocky NW and have smacked many rocks with no issues.

The nice thing about carbon is that it absorbs sound better than the alum plates which generally make your bike sound louder.

Many good plates out there - Rooster, Devol, Flat Land and of course Utah. Regardless of your choice, get one with an oil hole already drilled out.

The Utah has the oil hole in it, at least mine does. But, it's just easier for me to take it off.

I've installed the Devol on my 06. Took the time to replace the bolts with studs which I loctited in ,silicone to hold the spacers, and then its just a case of undoing 4 nuts and a bolt to drop it. 2 mins max :thumbsup:

Wayne

I've installed the Devol on my 06. Took the time to replace the bolts with studs which I loctited in ,silicone to hold the spacers, and then its just a case of undoing 4 nuts and a bolt to drop it. 2 mins max :thumbsup:

Wayne

WOW!!! That's a great idea. :cry: I'm glad I thought of it.

No, really, I'm gonna borrow your idea. That's a brainstorm. :ride:

As long as you give it back when you're finished with it!

Wayne

Rushfan, just remembered, I didn't use loctite afterall, I simply used an extra nut to lock the stud against the frame. This made it easy to adjust the length :thumbsup:

Thanks all, I ended up ordering the TT Skid Plate, PMB exhaust insert, JD Jet Kit, AIS removal kit, Uni Radiator guard, zip fuel mixture. Now I just need a volunteer to install all that for me; grin :thumbsup: