Sign in to follow this  

@#@$$y$#%# Dr650 Aaarggh!

1993 DR650 Miserable P.I.T.A.... bike was running and riding good. I had to let it sit for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks it would not start, when you go to kick it the first kick has a weak pop and after that it doesn't try to start. I have tried push starting it, anything less than 3rd gear locks it up. It has spark, fuel, compression and now the Carb has been cleaned and the valves check out good but it still won't start. Any Ideas? I've been trying to figure this out for 2 months and now the bike is being passed around to friends and nobody can figure it out.

First thing change the Spark plug just because it sparks when your holding it dosent mean it will under compression , also when you cleaned the carb did you use compressed air or anything to clean out all of the jets and tiny passages as they can get gummed up quite easily.

:thumbsup:

changed plugs and it was a thorough carb clean. Its starting to make me wonder if the timing jumped.

Does it have a blue spark? I don't think it is the timing. If it was running good before you parked it has to be something obvious.

Try squirting a little gas in the spark plug hole and quickly replacing the plug and see if it will hit.

I have seen this happen before. Good spark, getting gas, great compression. Problem... exhaust filled with gas/water. The only thing i can think of.

Was the bike sitting outside or in a garage? Not much can go wrong while it's just sitting there especially if it is inside. Varnish in the carb and rust are about it. Outside, there is the possibility of tampering. Someone trying to steal it or just jacking with it. Another possibility is water. Dew can get sucked into all sorts of places as the metal heats up during the day. Pull the ignition cover and have a look. Have you replaced the plug wire? A 10 year-old resistor type plug wire is due to be replaced anyway. A fat blue spark doesn't always mean you've got spark with compression.

You have checked the obvious have you?

All the swithces for the ignition: Clutch, engine killer, sidestand, neutral ?

dont know how many of them are present on your bike, but it has happened to me more than once that the bike doesnt start all of a sudden -and D'mn - the switch was pressed in (fortunately i have an electric starter so i can detect it on that the starter is not even running) :thumbsup:

/K

Many moons ago I had an XT600. Rode it all day, shut it off when I stopped by to visit a friend for 20 minutes or so, then tried to start the bike.

Wouldn't start worth a crap. Finally, got it to fire, but sounded horrible so I shut it off and trucked it home.

Turns out that the timing had in fact jumped, so I bought a new T chain, put it back together, and it ran like a top.

It was outside but under a closed and locked cover. The exhaust has been repacked and didn't have water in it, I repacked the exhaust since it usually gets hard to start after it blows the packing out. The coil and wires are new.

I need to check to see if the switches are working, but would it get spark if the kill switch or ignition wasn't on? I thought they worked by cutting spark?