Sign in to follow this  

Closest riding to Bakersfield?

I'll be in the area in early September and am wondering where the closest riding is. I'll take my bike if there is something within a reasonable driving distance.

I'd like to ride a track but offroad is cool too.

Bring it man there are a few bakersfiled locals on the site that would probably show you around the local spots. I have been wanting to put a ride together with skoot and it would be cool to put a couple TT riders together for a ride on the local stuff.

I can't help you with track stuff as my motorcross days are over but there is some good riding in the desert or up in the mountains.

Sounds good.......public OHV areas that I can look up on the web or ?????

How far from town?

Ewwwww why are you going to Bakersfield? Got some kinda hog-huntin goin on??? :thumbsup:

That place looked like a lame ass part of Hell when I drove past it on the way to Disneyland. Oh and don't forget to fill up your gas tank before you get there, I got freakin raped at this store off of I-5. Sure it was out in the sticks but dayyyyum they gouge you.

I'd bet there is some pretty good riding close by, as I saw plenty of bikes in the back of trucks around there. I'd be curios to know what you find out Ben - let me know if ya remember.

-Dave

Cal City isnt too far away right? If you like desert, its very good riding.

I've ridden Cal City before, it's alright I guess. I'd like to find something closer to town though because of time constraints.

Dave, I'm heading down there for my buddy's 30th b-day party. He just got out of the Navy and bought a new house in Bakersfield. I know.........it's Bakersfield........but his Navy experience landed him a good paying job there and housing is cheap. :thumbsup:

Portervile and Gorman are not too far from Bakersfield. Both are probably an hour or less drive.

For you Bakersfield people... Does Hart Park/Mesa Marin (whatever it's called) have anymore riding or is it all closed down?

Porterville site: (my favorite track)

http://www.ci.porterville.ca.us/offices/departments/content.cfm?did=70&sdid=86

Gorman/ I-5 MX

http://www.i-5mx.com/

He just got out of the Navy and bought a new house in Bakersfield. I know.........it's Bakersfield........and housing is cheap. :thumbsup:

You couldn't be more wrong. Housing is far from cheap in Bako...another reason not to live there! I believe the average house in Bako is probably around $280,000-$300,000....if you want cheap housing move to Nor. Cal. Because there is no such thing as a cheap house anywhere near So. Cal.

I've ridden Cal City before, it's alright I guess. I'd like to find something closer to town though because of time constraints.

Ehh its great riding down there if you know where to ride. But since its too far, try what DirtQueen said, and go to Gorman, if its not too far for you. They have a nice MX track if thats what youre into, there is also some great forest riding. Just dont stay in Hungry Valley, or else you might get bit by a quad.

I am pretty sure Mesa is all closed and Hart Park is all closed down. There are a couple small places to ride right here in Oildale.Called James Rd. The closest SVRA or OHV is going to be Hungry Valley/LPNF/Gorman, there is also a track there. Its about 45min from Bakersfield. Porterville track is about 30-45 min's away also. There is also Piru track, i think it is maybe just over an hour away. I have not been there but i have heard it is a pretty cool track. The Piutes are about a hour away. Jawbone/Dove Springs is about an hour away. Drink water and Rower Flats is about 1.5 hours away. I think Kennedy Meadows is about 1.5-2 hours.Ballenger is also about 1 hour away. I think Bakersfield is actually pretty centrally located for alot of good riding. I'm sure there are more tracks within a 1-2 hour range but i really don't know where they are. I don't really ride tracks too much. I will, but i prefer singletrack. Let me know when you will be in town....Scott

You couldn't be more wrong. Housing is far from cheap in Bako...another reason not to live there! I believe the average house in Bako is probably around $280,000-$300,000....if you want cheap housing move to Nor. Cal. Because there is no such thing as a cheap house anywhere near So. Cal.

OMG.. the average home here is about $500,000! That's nothing!

OMG.. the average home here is about $500,000! That's nothing!

i think what he is saying is that housing has skyrocketed as I'm sure most places have. A few years ago the average was closer to 150k, so 300k to us here in Bakersfield is expensive. 500k is outrageous

you really pay for where you live....

I have friend that grew up here... and moved to bakersfield about 3 years ago. They are stuck, i dont see them ever coming back!

That is dirt cheap compared to Santa Rosa. A decent house up here will cost you at least 500K.

If you want more square footage or acreage you're looking at 750K and up.

I live near the Napa Valley so that should give you an idea....

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I have ridden Gorman, the crowds on the trails get out of hand, the track is cool though. I've ridden Piru too, maybe I'll go to the Porterville track since I've never been there and it seems it's closest to Bakersfield.

Come on Skoot......lets go ride a track........don't be skeered.

Or just add a couple more days to the trip and I'll get you down to baja for a two day ride.

I think we may have a winner. That sounds like a good idea. Can you ride on week days?

You bring the 8-ball of coke, I'll bring the Twisted Sister CDs, we'll pile in my truck and take a road trip into Mexico.

I think we may have a winner. That sounds like a good idea. Can you ride on week days?

You bring the 8-ball of coke, I'll bring the Twisted Sister CDs, we'll pile in my truck and take a road trip into Mexico.

With enough forward notice I can arrange my schedule for a midweek mexico ride. Basicly leave my place at the asscrack of dawn and be back the next day. Can easily squeeze in 300+ miles in two days like that.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I have ridden Gorman, the crowds on the trails get out of hand, the track is cool though. I've ridden Piru too, maybe I'll go to the Porterville track since I've never been there and it seems it's closest to Bakersfield.

Come on Skoot......lets go ride a track........don't be skeered.

If you are an intermediate rider or better, then forget the trails in Hungry Valley (aka Gorman) and ride the trails in the forest above the park. I only park in Hungry valley. On a Holiday weekend there can be 10,000+ people riding quads around thier truck in the park and almost no one on the forest trails. I was there over Memorial day weekend and saw maybe 10 riders on the forest trails.

The trails inside Gorman suck. They are boring, not challenging and crowded. I have ridden the forest trails before, they're a lot of fun. Kinda like the trails we have around here or up in Tahoe.