Sign in to follow this  

RM inverted forks on a DRZs?

I was looking on ebay and saw that the late model RM inverted forks go for pretty cheap, my question is will these forks work on my 04 S? If so what parts and mods will be needed to do so?

1999-2004 Forks will work with the DRZ400, just make sure you get the triple clamp as well. Look at my garage I have a set of 99' RM250 forks mounted. :thumbsup:

Jeromy how do you like the RM forks on your bike?? What kind of work did you do to the forks, like springs and valves? Also I noticed you have a 125 rear shock on your bike too, what was involved with that and how do you like it??

So far I haven't changed the springs in the forks, they seem to be fine. Things to consider if you purchase the rm forks will be headlight mounts(your originals will not work because the fork diameter is larger), protective plastics and guides. I thought installing the forks was pretty easy overall, and I am not the worlds best mechanic. I bought the forks off Ebay as well. The rear shock is awesome. Its a brand new-old shock. The guy that sells them also revalves and puts the proper spring on it for your bike and body wieght. Overall my suspensions is Waaaayyyy better than a stock 2000-2001 DRZ400s. One other thing to consider is finding some newer DRZ400e or S front forks, since they are fully adjustable and you would probably only need to respring them(no need to change triple clamps). I couldn't find any for a reasonable price so i went with the RM setup. :thumbsup::ride:

That is awesome, one more quick question and that is was the rear shock a bolt on thing? I think I am going to go ahead and do the RM forks and just get a different headlight like yours, by the way nice bike!! Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Read my post about half way down on this page for a primer....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173606&page=3

I recommend you try and find some 2001 - 2003 RM125 forks (Showa 47mm). Or 2004 and up RM125/RM250 (Also Showa 47mm).

Then just buy some 05 RM125/250 clamps. OEM or Aftermarket. (22.5mm offset). This is the easiest setup to get parts for. I just installed this setup on one of my bikes. Beautiful.

The rear shock for for the 97 RM125 is actually a bit longer. The person i bought the shock from put the spacers in it when they revalved the shock. husky@huskyclub.com sells these shocks. For a DRZ400S(not the SM) the shock was about $375.00. :thumbsup:

So far I haven't changed the springs in the forks, they seem to be fine. Things to consider if you purchase the rm forks will be headlight mounts(your originals will not work because the fork diameter is larger),

I think you could use DRZ SM headlight mounts. Although basic rubber mounts would do the same job as well and much cheaper.

From another post:

"First off lets start with stock RM triple clamp offsets and the forks that came on each model.....

1999 - 2000 RM125 / 250 - 24.5 offset - 49mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2004 RM125 - 24.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2003 RM250 - 24.5 offset - 46mm USD Kayaba Forks

2004 RM250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RM125 / 250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RMZ450 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

(new axle and axle lugs on the RMZ450 fork may require different spacers maybe more to use a set of its forks etc. on a DRZ or other RM????)

The RMZ250 is a Kawi designed chassis so I will totally leave it out as it doesn't belong.

OK Now for fork clamping area diameter measurements for the different forks :

47mm USD Showa Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

46mm USD Kayaba Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

49mm USD Showa Fork : 55.5mm upper 59.5mm lower

So basically an RM triple clamp whether 22.5 offset or 24.5 offset can be used to mount up a set of either 47mm SHW or 46mm KYB USD Forks."

I picked up a set of 2002 RM250 forks, Can anyone confirm I can use the 22.5 triple clamp intended for 47mm forks?

so i got a set of 01 rm125 forks and clams off ebay for ultra cheap. THe guy says it has the words FLY on the upper clamp and it looks a lil different than the lower ones. Anyone know if these are aftermarket?

If I get some 47mm RM tubes can they be used with the OEM SM triples? Excuse my ignorance but are the OEM SM triples 47mm? I think the answer is yes to both questions but can someone confirm?

If I get some 47mm RM tubes can they be used with the OEM SM triples? Excuse my ignorance but are the OEM SM triples 47mm? I think the answer is yes to both questions but can someone confirm?

any inverted RM fork requires the RM triples.

I bought some 01RM250 forks off eBay for $41 shipped, then found a guy parting an 07 DRZ400SM out, and bought the upper and lower clamps off him for $50. Worked like a charm.