oil change help

Hi this is my first post the thumpertalk and i am also new to the four strokes, i bought a new 2006 yz250f and 2006 yz450f and i am in need of an oil change and do not know what to do. i have the new filter and oil but need to have a step by step of how to change the oil on the new bike thanks for the help.

I have the manuals i just was getting frustrated with it and couldn't find the oil change part it just showed the checking the oil part. could you give me the page number. thanks.

Since www.thumperfaq.com does not have a page for changing the oil on the 06 YZFs (should apply to 07 models too), I've put together a page that you can refer to:

Changing the oil and the oil filter for 06 YZFs.

The 450 is a little different than the 250. You do not need to remove the skid plate. Just remove the two drain plugs, one on either side of the motor. Also, remove the dip stick so the oil can drain. Filter is the same as av's instructions. By the way av, you post great instructions.

Mark

The 450 is a little different than the 250. You do not need to remove the skid plate. Just remove the two drain plugs, one on either side of the motor. Also, remove the dip stick so the oil can drain. Filter is the same as av's instructions. By the way av, you post great instructions.

Mark

Thanks for the kind words Mark ?

Av,

The oil level checking procedure on your page is incorrect. According to Yamaha, the bike need to be run long enough to scavenge the sump and return the oil from the crankcase to the tank, then shut off, placed on a stand, or otherwise set level, and allowed to sit for a few minutes. At that point, the oil level is supposed to be between the center and the top of the sight glass.

The way they have the system set up, the return pipe in the tank, which in most dry sump systems always stands above the correct oil level, only goes to nearly the correct level. That allows a specific amount of oil to run back to the crankcase almost as soon as it is shut of, and that oil will, if the right amount is present, fill the cases to the correct point on the glass.

The 450 will do something similar to that if overfilled, and there is an overfill drain screw on the left side of the crankcase below the front sprocket that can be removed to correct that. Refer to page 3-14 of your manual.

Av,

The oil level checking procedure on your page is incorrect. According to Yamaha, the bike need to be run long enough to scavenge the sump and return the oil from the crankcase to the tank, then shut off, placed on a stand, or otherwise set level, and allowed to sit for a few minutes. At that point, the oil level is supposed to be between the center and the top of the sight glass.

The way they have the system set up, the return pipe in the tank, which in most dry sump systems always stands above the correct oil level, only goes to nearly the correct level. That allows a specific amount of oil to run back to the crankcase almost as soon as it is shut of, and that oil will, if the right amount is present, fill the cases to the correct point on the glass.

The 450 will do something similar to that if overfilled, and there is an overfill drain screw on the left side of the crankcase below the front sprocket that can be removed to correct that. Refer to page 3-14 of your manual.

You have mentioned the above procedure for checking the oil level before, but for me (SUnruh have also verified this on his 06 YZ250F for me), with the engine running or shut off, both of our oil windows are always full of oil. ?

What do other 06 YZ250F owners seeing in the sight glass with the engine running and not running? Are your oil sight glass full or half empty like what Gray have described above? :ride: :ride:

Perhaps the 06 YZ450Fs which is what Gray has are different? ?

So I checked the manual and the oil level is supposed to be full with the engine turned off. I have revised my page accordingly. The 450Fs procedure for checking the oil level is definitely different than the 250Fs, glad we got that sorted out. ?

The odd thing about the procedure for the 250Fs is that, with the engine RUNNING, the sight window is already full, so when you turn the engine off, of course it is STILL going to be full - duh?! :ride:

Av is correct along with the manual,the sight glass window should read full. I put in 42 ounces with a new filter,when I reach about mid 30 oz the window is showing full already,and I drain like no other ? .I still put in the full 42 oz,the window shows full before I start it and after shut down.So basically we are depending on Yami to be correct on the amount of oil that is supposed to go in after a good drain!

Instead of being a little low or a little high checking with a stick or check screw,we will never know,just because the window reads full, you can still be shy on the amount.

So I checked the manual and the oil level is supposed to be full with the engine turned off. ... The 450Fs procedure for checking the oil level is definitely different than the 250Fs, glad we got that sorted out. ?

The odd thing about the procedure for the 250Fs is that, with the engine RUNNING, the sight window is already full, so when you turn the engine off, of course it is STILL going to be full - duh?! :ride:

The 450 has no sight glass but does have a dip stick.

The trouble with checking the 250F while running is that the oil is being circulated, and because it's being fed to things, draining to the case, being scavenged and returned, and generally flying around in a rotating assembly, looking at the window may be comforting in that it shows that oil is in fact present, the accuracy of the glass as a measuring device is not much better than the dip stick in your car engine is while it's running, and for the same reason.

The oil level is supposed to be at the full level in the window; not beyond that, and not less than that. The mid point is much like the bottom of the checkered zone on a dipstick. If it's less than full, it should be filled. If it's below the checkered zone it must be filled.

On the other hand, what happens to the '06 if it's overfilled? The oil tank has very little reserve space in it, and the return oil is always pumped faster than the feed. When there's too much in the system, and the tank fills to its maximum capacity, the excess gets forced out of the tank through the pressure balance hose that runs from the tank back to the crankcase and raises the oil level in the cases beyond where it belongs. In older models, that line ran to the cam box, and the flood of extra oil would often cause a lot of smoke and oil out the breather. Not so the '06, where the balance vent is away from the cylinder, and the oil level must be elevated to the point where the crank dips into it in order to cause over-oiling of the cylinder.

Try putting only 900cc in on your next oil change and run it just long enough to check the oil level. You'll see the difference.

The oil level is supposed to be at the full level in the window; not beyond that, and not less than that.

If checked according to the manual and the oil level is below the window even the smallest amount you are low by 200cc's. So bringing the oil level up to the top of the window is still 200cc's short. If in doubt, just change your oil. The oil should be changed way before 200cc's could ever be consumed any ways unless a mechanical problem exists.

The oil level being at the top of the window is not the correct amount of oil,the correct amount of oil is 1.3qrts(42 oz)Filter change. The window will read full a few ounces before 42.Even though the window is showing full you still put in the correct amount. When the window is just filled that should be the full mark,but it is not.That is why I said in my previous post we will never know the true level,no check screw,or stick.