Sign in to follow this  

best investment?

Do the exhaust first. The stock airbox and exhaust are so restrictive, that you would hardly notice the new cam. Use the Search feature on this forum to find lots of discussion on both airbox mods and thoughts on a good exhaust upgrade.

For the exhaust upgrades, I have found that if someone bought a certain muffler, they think it is the best. The only advice that I will give is to get a "complete" system rather than just a "slip-on". It will cost more, but be worth it, particularly if you do other upgrades, as you appear to want to do.

I agree on the pipe first, along with opening up the airbox and re-jetting. Check with the manufacturer's (of the pipe you select) for reccomendations on proper jetting. That will help a lot.

I'd also say a close second is beefing up your suspension. If the rider is going to weigh any more than about 140lbs., then you would do well to get stiffer springs, particularly for the forks. BBR sells those. Maybe others, I don't know.

Later mods should include a frame cradle and maybe then your cam and bore job.

It's a great bike. Have fun! :thumbsup:

I like Uni air filters, but I am sure that the Twin Air is fine.

The reason that I like compete systems is that they further reduce back pressure without an increase in noise. You have already expressed an interest in doing a cam upgrade. You will get the most out of that later upgrade if you do a complete exhaust now. I am using a BBR, but it is rather loud. I have an FMF on all my other bikes, so I like FMF quite a bit. However, the FMF for the DR-Z125 is just a muffler, so I went with the BBR.

I'd do the suspension first but that's just me...

I'd rather be able to jump the thing and ride it hard on trails before making it go 2 mph faster....

Plus the one I have is my wifes bike so faster is not an issue.