Sign in to follow this  

Final Motard Questions.

So I’ve search and have found some very interesting stuff about motarding a DR, but I would like to have a few final questions answered/clarified.

So if I do the whole rear rim up front, and lace up a 4.25” in the rear what are my tire options for the front?

From what I understand the rear tire should be a 150/60/17 or 150/70/17.

What about the front? What is the width of the stock rear rim and will the rim fit a 120/70/17 (and work properly). If this rim does not work for a 120/70/17 is there a rim that would work and still fit on the DR? What tire size does fit the rear stock rim? The reason I wonder about the front is that this is a super common front tire for sport bikes and take offs are easy to get for next to nothing (heck I have two sitting in my garage with lots of life left right now)

The plan as of now is this:

Procure a DR650 (post 1996)

Lace up 17’s (based on the response from this post)

Fork Brace

Add .3” preload to front forks

Let it breath a little (but I don’t want it too loud)

Drop some weight

Have fun!

Has anyone have any experience with changing fork oil to adjust your damping?

Are you asking about using the rear wheel as a motard front wheel? If so, it has been done, and you should be able to do it. There is some Aussie guy who has done that but I think it does require some fabricating on the front brake. I can't remember if he posts on this site or on supermotojunkie, do a search on either or and you should be able to find it.

With a 120 up front, you have tons of tire options, its the 150 in the back that limits you a little. But that is what I run on my DR650sm. There are still lots of tire options. A lot of the older sportbikes and todays "b" level sportbikes and smaller sport touring bikes have a 150 in the rear. (Suzuki Bandit 600, Katanas and the like). I have a fairly cheap IRC sport touring type, that so far is holding up well. Decent stick and little wear.

I have a 150 on the stock rim. It looks too skinny and is not recommend but seems OK.

That rear rim is too narrow for a 120/70-17. I believe it is a 2.5 or 2.75x17. You need a 3.5x17 rim in the front.