Sign in to follow this  

'91 XR80, points to CDI?

I've searched and seen brief mention of the conversion from points to a CDI from a newer model. I'm picking up a 91 xr80 this weekend that sounds like it needs new points. I'm wondering if I should just convert to CDI to begin with, instead of replacing points, condenser etc.. Any info or links to thread would be great. I searched around buy didn't come up with any substanital facts/info.

Thanks

Ryan

Yeah, maybe I'll do that. I think the condsenser and new points will only set me back a 20 spot. The tires look pretty good, at least on the rear. Those are pretty cheap, too, especially when you mount them yourself. Good idea on just saving the bread though. I haven't got the bike yet, so who knows what kind of little puzzles there are to be fixed or repaired. Thats almost half the fun right there.

What year did Honda bring the XR out of the stone age and install a CDI from the factory?

CDI came out in '92.

Just so I can be on the look for post '92 parts on ebay, what all is required for the swap? Heres my list so far:

flywheel

stator

stepped woodruff key

wire harness

cdi module

Seems like I could use the stock coil. Am I missing everything, or is there something there i don't need?

You need a coil and backing plate too. Little things, like the backing plate seal and o-ring, coil and module holders are already indluded if you get them used off ebay. The stepped kep is optional.

thanks for the heads up. i've got a set of points on the way so i can get it running. i'll probably worry about other things, just like to know what to look for as there are often great steals on ebay. Hopefully I don't need a new condenser, bikebandit is the only place i can find those.

well the deal on the bike fell through, but not before i ordered a set of points and new condenser. if someone wants a tune-up kit, email me at ryan.finical@ttu.edu.

The points were $7 plus ship, and the condenser was $12.50 plus ship. Looking for $20 shipped priority mail. I also have a new manual for the 73-2000 small single xr/xl models. i no longer need this as i ended up picking up a bw80 (ding, ding, ding, ding)