Sign in to follow this  

ok im stuck

So ive got a 79 yz400 and It ran two weeks ago. So last weekend I go and try to start it,, no luck. I try for 40 minutes, no go. By this time there is fuel building up in the exhaust pipe. The bike isnt even firing. It does have spark though and amazing compression. So anyways, I empty the pipe put it on then try again, nothing. I have tried everything I could :thumbsup: , so shoot me some ideas and I thank you all

Take the advice in your sig?

In all seriousness, it is getting spark? Is the timing way too advanced? I dont know how youd check it on your bike, but thats one thing I would look at.

Well, I only take the advice of my infamous sig if the bike is not running due to a cracked case or the like or maybe if I had a totaled supra, I would put the engine in my vw bus. Anyways timing is super. The bike started on the first kick. Now it just wont fire, burp, cough, or anything. It is trying my patience very thoroughly

So ive got a 79 yz400 and It ran two weeks ago. So last weekend I go and try to start it,, no luck. I try for 40 minutes, no go. By this time there is fuel building up in the exhaust pipe. The bike isnt even firing. It does have spark though and amazing compression. So anyways, I empty the pipe put it on then try again, nothing. I have tried everything I could :thumbsup: , so shoot me some ideas and I thank you all

3 basics. spark, fuel, and air

How come the pipes filling up with gas? Sounds like a stuck float or something...I've never seen a pipe fill with gas just from kicking it.

yah, thats what im thinking. the guy that owned the bike before me said the floats stick. Ill tear the carb out and spray it all tonight. Ive never had them stick before though

I would try putting fuel in the cylinder because I had an IT 175 that had a soaked plug and it wouldent start and I accidentally spilled fuel in the spark plug hole put the spark plug in and the thing fired right up. Later on I found out my choke was faulty. Good luck.

I accidentally spilled fuel in the spark plug hole .

Would love to see that. :thumbsup:

Woops, I just spilt gas in my spark plug hole! No, ya, no, ya, noo...

Would love to see that. :thumbsup:

Woops, I just spilt gas in my spark plug hole! No, ya, no, ya, noo...

I know, how the hell did you accidently spill gas in your spark plug hole?

I cleaned the carb and the bike fired on the first kick so I think im barking up the right tree, but its still doing the same thing. Is there any special way to treat a stuck float or should I just clean it so it moves freely