Sign in to follow this  

What's up with my front light ?

Ok so recently put a normal front headlight back and noticed how dim it was and always were. I measured the voltage at the headlight and it was below 12V. The battery was in good condition, I got this reading with both batteries I've had on my bike. Question is why do I get such a big voltage drop to the headlight ? Surely Suzuki used thick enough gauge wiring ? If I run thicker wires directly from the battery the voltage picks up. This is with a 55W bulb. The charging voltage at the battery also measured correctly :thumbsup: It's nothing serious just that a dim headlight is a bit annoying.

try running your thicker wires one at a time to isolate whether it's the ground or the power that is low. Is this on both high and low beams? My guess (just a guess but most common cause) is that your ground wire is not making a good contact.

You can use a digital volt meter to meaure votage drops to isolate the source. If the voltage drop is reduced by running a heavy pos wire, the drop is someplace in the wiring you bypassed. Maybe in the ignition switch. No, Suzuki (and most motorcycles) do not use big enough wires.