Sign in to follow this  

Newbee getting 2 450's any problems help

I am getting 2 CRF450R's Thursday 2006 & 2007 :thumbsup::ride: . My Yamaha had a hub blow Saturday (450) & my YZ250f had the recall for valves breaking (already done). I posted it on the Yamaha section and people started saying Honda's have poor clutch's, valves, Rod breaking ect. Is this true? Are they just haters? I am 36 and race VET district 7 motocross and almost got the Honda's but *&@^ed up and got the YZF's first. I understand bikes break (I started riding in 1979) I understand somethings are going to happen, but if anybody can help tell me how to set up my 450's that would be great. By the way the YZF's had to have front tire, handle bars, jetting, triple calmps so they are not great out of the box.

Chain, sprockets, front tire and change the oil every every 2 rides. Oh, clean the air filter after every ride.

Welcome to the club. After you really get them post pictures and we will teach you the secret handshake :thumbsup:

I've owned 2 CRFs and no problems. Been riding them for the last 4 years once or twice a week.

Just get the bike and ride the damn thing... they don't "need" anything except someone to maintain them properly. I think your first mod should be a mechanic since your repair skills seem to be lacking.

grease all the basic stuff you would on any bike, new oring chain check width may need the fastway spacer behind front sprocket , loctite front sprocket bolt & kickstarter bolt, like mentioned before clean air filter and chain oil both sides often, be careful and just snug oil and tranny bolt, flatland or devol radiator braces, my 03 fell off the trailer 2 hrs after i bought it and took out my right side radiator, don't use cheep tie downs lesson i learned. ride ,ride smile

The clutches are weak in my experience, but only because the motor makes so much power. I found that tossing a spark plug washer under each clutch spring added just enough pressure to keep from slipping the clutch under heavy load, so easy fix. The stock wheels are sort of crappy, but there's nothing wrong with the Honda. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

How often do you need to clutch a 450 anyway? It will pull itself and a 200lb rider out of anything, with authority, as long as you ride smooth and get on the gas.

How often do you need to clutch a 450 anyway? It will pull itself and a 200lb rider out of anything, with authority, as long as you ride smooth and get on the gas.

My clutch would give up the ghost under hard accelration while seat bouncing jumps without ever touching the lever. If I had good traction and was hard on the gas, the clutch would give up and slip like a cartoon character on a banana peel.

Just get the bike and ride the damn thing... they don't "need" anything except someone to maintain them properly. I think your first mod should be a mechanic since your repair skills seem to be lacking.

Dang New Yorkers, crabby from the minute they wake up till the minute they get mugged.

lol There is just no tolerance for stupidity...

After Yamahas, you won't like the air filter changes. Be VERY careful when changing it, or you'll suck dirt, guaranteed.

After Yamahas, you won't like the air filter changes. Be VERY careful when changing it, or you'll suck dirt, guaranteed.

Word. After having the Honda, I forgot how easy other bikes are to change the air filter on until I got my 06 YZ. That thing dang near puts itself on. :thumbsup:

Does it help to lay the bike on it's left side?? I haven't done one yet...also what filter's are you guys running?? THANKS.

Does it help to lay the bike on it's left side?? I haven't done one yet...also what filter's are you guys running?? THANKS.

How would laying it on it's side make air filter changes easier? :thumbsup:

I run Amsoil air filters.

I use the stock and have a twin air ready if I ever need it. It is not as easy to tell if is snug a nd sealed as the stock one. I am also afraid to use it because of the valve issue everyone talks about. I have used the stock one for the last 14 months without any valve problems. Wish I had 2 450s! :thumbsup:

CR250 2 strokes used to have a problem with debris from the filter falling down into the airboot when removing the filter/cage...laying the bike on it's left side eliminated the VERY dangerous problem (one tiny speck of sand can lodge between the carb body/slide causing the throttle to stick open!!)

CR250 2 strokes used to have a problem with debris from the filter falling down into the airboot when removing the filter/cage...laying the bike on it's left side eliminated the VERY dangerous problem (one tiny speck of sand can lodge between the carb body/slide causing the throttle to stick open!!)

Ah hah...