Sign in to follow this  

Cold Starting Problem - CoeShow?

Or anyone that's had a similar problem... I have a weird one...

When I attempt to crank the bike (CRF150) while cold with the choke, it will not under any circumstances idle. I have to sit there the entire time and blip the throttle - but if I let go of the throttle it dies.

After it's warmed up, it's the best idling bike ever. It'll crank right up and idle, I can blip the throttle and it'll fall right back down to a nice steady RPM. So the pilot jet is definately not plugged up or anything like that.

It's got me puzzled - and it's a bit of a pain to have to sit there and blip the throttle until it warms up! LOL

Basically I have to have the choke to crank it and warm it up. But it will not stay idling on the choke, I have to keep blipping the throttle.

Mikeee P

Typical Honda! Heres what i do, not saying that it is right. I will start the bike with full throttle and turn the idle nob up so its idleing high. Then after about 10 seconds i will put it in half choke, it will start idleing really high so you will have to turn it down as far as it will go without letting it die. Then just let it sit for a couple of minutes, take of the choke and adjust the idle screw till you think it is right.

Or anyone that's had a similar problem... I have a weird one...

When I attempt to crank the bike (CRF150) while cold with the choke, it will not under any circumstances idle. I have to sit there the entire time and blip the throttle - but if I let go of the throttle it dies.

After it's warmed up, it's the best idling bike ever. It'll crank right up and idle, I can blip the throttle and it'll fall right back down to a nice steady RPM. So the pilot jet is definately not plugged up or anything like that.

It's got me puzzled - and it's a bit of a pain to have to sit there and blip the throttle until it warms up! LOL

Basically I have to have the choke to crank it and warm it up. But it will not stay idling on the choke, I have to keep blipping the throttle.

Mikeee P

If your bike is not uncorked it will be a cold hearted biotch. Ours opened up are so easy to start.

Mine seems to have gotten progressively worse. The only diff after adding the pipe, uncorking the airbox and installing a 110 mainjet is that the weather is getting warmer here in FL...

It's strange though that I can't get it to idle on full choke or half choke at all. Then when I turn it off it's okay. It has me a little stumped.

I thought about a larger pilot (it has the stocker) but once warmed up the bike cranks flawlessly, idles perfect and doesn't show any signs of being lean on off throttle (no popping/spitting/backfire-cough).

Mike

My girlfriend's 150 was crazy hard to start and would not idle until fully warmed up either. I did a search on here and someone suggested that the fuel/air screw be 2 1/2 turns out. I tried it and now it will start on the first kick when cold and idle right away. I only have to use half choke now instead of full choke. Mine was about 3.5 turns out when i got it. Hope that helps.

Mikeee P,

I would install a 42 pilot jet if you haven't already. Even though the bike runs to your satisfaction when fully warm, a tad richer on the pilot and out on the idle screw will significantly aid in cold/lean start up.

Did you install the needle clip into the 4th groove down from the top? This will also aid in performance all-round as well.

The issue you speak of is very typical of these bikes.The 42 pilot is only one size up, so you will not throw the jetting off in any way.

Good luck and ride safely.

Hi Mike, I guess I'll give it a shot. I'll yank the pilot to see which style and order one up.

I thought about the pilot and using the richer one - but it was cranking fine when it was cold out which should have been even leaner with the cold dense air.

I can't remember off the top of my head where the needle is, I'll check it.

BTW - any suggestions on the needle, main and pilot for a BBR175 kit?

I just got one in the mail the other day and thought I'd give it a try when I got a chance to install it.

Mike