Sign in to follow this  

Taking Links Out of Chain

My chain is too loose. It is so loose that I can take the part of the chain that is below the swingarm and touch the swingarm with it. It is adjusted to the tightest chain setting too. I am a little low on cash to get a new one (which would mean new sprockets too) so I am thinking about taking a few links out of the chain. My question is...will I damage anything if I do this?

it'll help for about a week...than your clapped out chain will stretch again....take out a loan for the chain and sprockets.

Your sprockets are most likely shot too so take a link out and order a new set inc a quality chain. ?Don't go the cheap route on these items. You get what you pay for! :thumbsup:

You could but don't be surprized when your chain breaks and punches a hole in your case. Oh, and you might break some bones from the crash too.

If you can't afford maintanence then you can't afford to ride...

First I will say that everyone above me is right, you should do the right thing for your bike. Replacing a case is hard and costly, trust me it sucks. The left side had the engine number so it involded fill out forms.

Now that being said, In the old days we did this all this time. As long as the sprokets arent nasty stripped (they have teeth) you "should" be fine to take a couple of links out. In theroy as long as it doesn't let go it will not hurt anything that is not already hurt ie chain and sprokets. Hell the chains would snap and guys would put them back together. :thumbsup: