Sign in to follow this  

New Graphics, need help

Finally my David Baily replica kit came in that I ordered but now I have the task of putting the graphics on the supplied kit and I am a newbie at it :cry:

so I need some advice from you guys (the all knowing) :ride: as to how to do it without botching the job and throwing all that money out the window. I've tried doing it before and they always come out baddly, so any advice you guys at TT have would be appreciated, thanks :thumbsup:

Someone gave me a DeCal Works application kit, I've used it a few times and it works well but not necessary.

All you really need is a spray bottle full of water and a couple drops of dish soap mixed in, a hair dryer and a hard card (used to spread bondo with).

Pull the backing off the graphic, spray some soapy water all of the back of the graphic & plastic, lay the graphic over the plastic and position it........the soapy water will let you float the graphic around and line it up.

Once it looks good start to squeegee out the water between the graphic and plastic with the hard card. In the areas where the graphic won't conform around curves in the plastic use the hair dryer to heat it up and shape it.

Take your time and it will come out fine. Most of the time the hardest part on the CRF is the right number plate because it is so curved.

Someone gave me a DeCal Works application kit, I've used it a few times and it works well but not necessary.

All you really need is a spray bottle full of water and a couple drops of dish soap mixed in, a hair dryer and a hard card (used to spread bondo with).

Pull the backing off the graphic, spray some soapy water all of the back of the graphic & plastic, lay the graphic over the plastic and position it........the soapy water will let you float the graphic around and line it up.

Once it looks good start to squeegee out the water between the graphic and plastic with the hard card. In the areas where the graphic won't conform around curves in the plastic use the hair dryer to heat it up and shape it.

Take your time and it will come out fine. Most of the time the hardest part on the CRF is the right number plate because it is so curved.

Absolutly right! The hairdryer will make all the difference on those curvey number plates

The only good part about the DeCal Works kit is the cleaner, in my opinion anyway. And it's convienent. Other than that it's off the shelf stuff packed into a cute little box. :thumbsup:

i used the soft rubber deals for using bondo... windex and a hair dryer... taking my time ofcourse!! then.. for the edges i used a lil bit of super glue... they never tryed comming off lol

Thanks for all the input guys, those decals don't stand a chance :thumbsup: .

One question about the windex though, it contains Ammonia in the stuff we have here, won't it harm the plastic or decals, or is it only harmful to rubber? :ride:

Ammonia has been a long time debate. Some people say it actually makes the adhesive stronger, some say never to use it.

My friend who owns a window tinting shop says to never use anything that has ammonia in it.

I never use Windex on graphics, I just get a spray bottle, put a couple drops of liquid dish soap in the bottle, fill it up with water and go for it.

Do you smoke while doing it?

I'll normally bust out the hash pipe so I don't accidently drop a lit ash, you know, safety first. :thumbsup:

Yes, and I wear safety glasses and goggles when I fire up the propane torch. :ride:

Hey did I ever tell you that the government implanted a microchip in my mouth? They are listening to me type this. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::ride::cry::ride:

Thanks, wasn't sure who would have more credibility, the ummmm seasoned pro's on TT :ride: or the net, out of good faith I came here :ride: all of your replies are deeply valued :crazy: