Sign in to follow this  

cleaning the drive-chain/changing tires

Hey everyone,

took the wheels off my SM for the first time to put some Distanzia's on. While the wheels are off I want to clean my chain. Im going to soak it in a tub of kerosine (while rotating around front sproket); i was wondering how long i should let it dry before applying lube and re-intalling wheels. I'm planning on letting it sit overnight which i figure is enough but if I can't get to it tonight would a couple of hours or a blow drying be sufficient?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

just get a brush of some sort and the slime will come right off.kerosene should drip dry and evaporate pretty quick. as soon as it looks dry it should be ready for some lube... couple minutes maybe if the ventilation and temperature is good.

Yes as Spam16v says it will dry fairly quickly, but kerosene leaves an oily film behind.

If using an oil type lube it is not a problem.

But if you are using one of the ceramic type wax lubes, you need to get rid of the oil completely.

Just make sure whatever you use does not affect the "O" rings.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

Let us know how you like the Distanzias. My rear wheel is off waiting for a Pilot Power. The front 208 still looks great at 4700 mi, but the rear was toast.

the brush I would use (never having done it, but having done lots of things like it) is a paint brush with the bristles cut down to about 1" long. If you get natural boar bristle, it will survive nearly any solvent and be soft enough to not damage the o-rings. If you wrap the metal clamp on the handle with duct tape, it wont scratch anything.

Anyone have any pointers on getting the wheels back on with respect to the brakes. I had hard time getting them off being the first time.....

the bike is getting a major service after a big back-roads trip (which i will be posting soon).

some of whats being done:

-cleaned the chain and chain guides etc with kerosine. Ended up using a toliet brush on the chain :ride: was clean btw... i like the idea of a paint brush tho

-serviced my twin air/ clean airbox

-will change oil; been getting in the habit of changing every 1500km. I'm thinking with such a frequent change i will probably change filter every second time (comments?)

-grease cables etc.

thanks for the comments! :thumbsup:

-cleaned the chain and chain guides etc with kerosene. Ended up using a toliet brush on the chain :thumbsup: was clean btw...

been getting in the habit of changing every 1500km. I'm thinking with such a frequent change i will probably change filter every second time (comments?)

toilet brush! :ride:

I would change the filter with each oil change....cheap insurance. I pay less than $3 for my oil filters though.

They are not OEM filters though Hi-Flo....IIRC Eddie said they were fine to use in the DRZ though.

I change mine every other oil change unless there has been some major clutch abuse going on...

A tip on the wheels would be to remove the rear caliper, roll the wheel forward to get it past the chain guide and then slide the brake part back on while it is between the wheel and the hub...It makes a lot more sense in real life :thumbsup:

That is how I do it with my SM wheels, otherwise it would never go.

got the tires on the rims - about to put them back on the wheels, i'm thinking about slightly re-greasing them as they were greased when i pull the axle out. Any suggestion on best way to put the wheels back on with regards to the brakes!?

i usually spread the calipers apart(put a large flathead screw driver between the brake pads and twist)this helps get the rotor back between the pads while your holding the wheel with one hand and sliding the axle in with the other.

btw-when you get the distanzas on post a report.as soon as my new rear tire wears out i'm considering te distanzas

I use a high temp wheel bearing grease. regular grease would sling out of the seal and end up on the rotor.