Sign in to follow this  

Overheating?

Ok, here's the story. My dad and I are out for a ride, we plan on takeing the trail i call the "loop form hell" because of what happened to me after my first (and so far only) ride on it. Got behind some quad riders (actually, they were showing us around) so it was slow and i am running stock front... ahh not important. Anyway, some people blocked off the path on and my dad didn't feel like going around. Anyway, we ended up rideing around an MX type course for a little while. I let my dad try out my bike (02 XR250 he's got an 86 XL250) when i get it back I hear a slight ticking noise... sorta like a valve way out of adjustment (had it happen, bolt on one of the valves came clean off... so i know what it sounds like, trust me), so we ride home, turns out we were out for like 2.5 hours in 85deg heat and some humidity. (we're in the NE)

My ticking isn't there when i fire it up the next day after letting it cool, although I never did warm it up, but it still wasn't there. Haven't warmed it up since. It was overheated, i'm pretty sure, there was a slight power loss. (and i know i need to re-jet... but oddly enough it was hot enough to get some popping on decel... that's rich right?) Oh... the noise dissapeared if i went up a gear or two and got the RPM's way down and chugged it.

My dad's bike is the interesting one. We're really close to the shop (we work right near some RR tracks that lead to alot of good ridding), I mean we're off the track and he's about to turn in, his bike dies. It was like he hit the kill switch he says. I was still crossing when this happened and didn't see it. Thing does not restart... will not go. Plenty of compression... kicked back a few times... not good considering i have a bad right ankle right now (will hurt easy) and i had sneakers on (took my boots off). Again, next day no problems. Starts first kick then dies a moment later. To lazy to re-fire it, but it was fine. Only thing i did before fireing it was cycle the kill switch a dozen or so times.

Any chance the heat is what caused both our problems?

>>(and i know i need to re-jet... but oddly enough it was hot enough to get some popping on decel... that's rich right?) <<

I thought popping meant a leaness condition. If you'll give your current jetting, intake/exhaust mods and elevation, the 250 riders here can tell you what your jetting should be.

As for your Dads, tell him to check the simple stuff first, like change the spark plug, gas on?, dirty carb. If he has a working decomp lever, check to make sure the mechanism at the head is not being activated when he turns the bars from side to side.

As for current mods, I just got the exhuast plug out.

Popping is really lean? hum... thought it was rich.

We know it had gas since we just got some like an hour before weren't running that hard, decomp system is purely an automatic one connected to the kickstart. Spark plug is less then a year old, so i doubt it was any of those.

Hey, I don't know what your elevation is but I'm at about 600' ASL and I have 135MJ, 48PJ, and fuel screw 1 3/4 turns out, and needle in middle pos. The fuel screw isn't spot on so you'll have to judge that one for yourself. I am running the stock air filter with no snorkel and no exhaust mods.

Hope this helps.

BTW: PLEASE....PLEASE don't put off jetting like so many people,do...It makes the bike feel like it just came out of the hands of some factory mechanic or something!!

It's not that hard to do, I just picked up some jets at the Honda dealer, tryed a few and found a combo that worked.

I'm roughy 200-300' MSL (sry.. pilot thing).

I plan on pulling the Snorkel and swaping out the airfilter. I actually just re-removed the exhaust diffuser... I missed being able to wheelie. Anyway, I got to get down to the dealership for some oil soon, it's been a little while since i changed it, i'll pick up some jets while i'm at it.