Sign in to follow this  

Spokes toast

Hey there,

So, I think i've done in my rear wheel. I kept up with tightening the spokes pretty much but now the spokes are toast, my hub's floating around back there and i'm going to need new spokes at least.

Couple questions. Can you get the wheel re-spoked or does it depend on how torqued the spoke holes are etc? I don't think the rim is that buggered, but the spokes definitely are done.

It lasted a full season and a month + this year. I ride rooty trails now mostly with big logs and stuff, not nicely groomed tracks (if they exist). Is this a good lifespan, or too short for a back wheel? I'm about 180 lbs, intermediate rider.

i tried fixing my buddies xr 100r and ended up messin it all up so my advice to you is take it to your local dealer or shop and have them put all new spokes in it and have them realign it its gonna be costly but hey its gotta be done and what isnt costly anymore

Im only 14 and ive never built rims before but after reading tons of forums and taking pictures of the lace pattern i laced both rims with excel rims and spokes in 3 hours. But if you put the tire on yourself a shop will true them for about 25 a wheel (i dont recommend truing em yourself). So it might be worth it to just buy the oem spokes amd lace it yourself then have a shop true.will cost you about a 100-125 for spoke and truing. If you have them do everything it will cost about 250. the good thing about having a shop true them is they will make sure your lacing is correct and there is a better chance your spokes will last longer.

Whered you get the instructions on lacing? I'd love to do it myself, but I've never done it before... knowing me, I'd screw it up. If there were really good instructions thouhg, i'd do it.

I would plan on getting a new rim. From the spokes being loose I'm sure the holes are ob-longed and won't stay tight.

Hey there,

So, I think i've done in my rear wheel. I kept up with tightening the spokes pretty much but now the spokes are toast, my hub's floating around back there and i'm going to need new spokes at least.

Couple questions. Can you get the wheel re-spoked or does it depend on how torqued the spoke holes are etc? I don't think the rim is that buggered, but the spokes definitely are done.

It lasted a full season and a month + this year. I ride rooty trails now mostly with big logs and stuff, not nicely groomed tracks (if they exist). Is this a good lifespan, or too short for a back wheel? I'm about 180 lbs, intermediate rider.

I had the same problem as you. They were fine the first year I had it, then they suddenly started going shake-on-the-hub loose every ride, to the point where some of the nipple holes on the rim got worn into ovals.

I just got a pair of Excel rims and spokes on my stock hubs. I used East Coast Wheel and sent in my hubs and had them do it. No more spoke problems! :thumbsup:

Flyingcritter = "Whered you get the instructions on lacing? I'd love to do it myself, but I've never done it before... knowing me, I'd screw it up. If there were really good instructions thouhg, i'd do it".

Well i just searched through these forums and found a few tips. But like i said just take a bunch of pictures of the pattern of which spokes go under which and which are "crossing-partners'. And if it helps to see the pictures easier, masking tape a spoke so it stands out in the picture over the rest. But yeah the others are right it might require a rim. Lacing is the easier part. Truing is where it gets tricky and it might save you a$% to have a shop do it. Feel free to ask any othre questions.

Oh and by the way it was my first time to and i didnt plan on doing it it i just bent a rim so i had to. I was pretty impressed with the fact i did it and even more when the guy at the shop said it looked great.

well what i have been told by a bunch of mechanics when i had a single broken spoke on my 125 is that if one spoke is not thier to to take some of the load then the others have to carry it. therefore weakening the sorrounding otheres and possibly that portion of the rim. So if you havent ridden it much like that you could be safe just replacing one(immediatly) but if you do ride it like that youll have to replace more spokes down the road. And it is just dangerous to ride it like that. Do yourself a favor and brake down your tire and replace that one spoke shouldnt take more than an hour MAX. A single spoke should cost like 5 bucks max.

A broken spoke will definitely cause a chain reaction.

You won't believe this but I put spokesavers on my bike and I haven't had to adjust my spokes once. I never thought they would work but they do.

A broken spoke will definitely cause a chain reaction.

You won't believe this but I put spokesavers on my bike and I haven't had to adjust my spokes once. I never thought they would work but they do.

spoke savers what are these??