Sign in to follow this  

Stupid question but I have to ask

What the hell is 'jetting' - I gather it is something to do with either the carby fuel/air mix or fuel flow but I seem to be the only one who does'nt know for sure. I have ridden my TC 450 from sea level to 8000ft (not in one day) and it all felt good to me - except for a little radiator boil. The reason I want to know is that I am moving to Colorado - summit county at 10000ft and read about these kits that allow you to adjust your jetting on the fly. So do I need to do this? What does it do for me anyway?

I am mechanically able (on cars anyway), even replaced and tuned a Holley once on my 69 Riviera (RIP) - maybe we use different words for jetting where I come from?? (Australia).

Anyone help a naive chap out?

click here -- > Jetting

Basically a jet is a orifice that lets fuel through. The bigger the jet the bigger the hole, the more fuel flows. The link describes the basics but the higher you go in elevation, the less air the bike has and less fuel is needed so smaller jets are probably better.

Lots of know how in the Husky forum but Eddie - the moderator in the jetting forum is a pro and lives in CO. Check out that forum too.

Sorry its still called jetting back in the old country mate old cob.No stupid questions,I dont get all those ROTFLMAO stuff on web sites till I ask,BTW,

by the way,and the above is Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off.Nobody

is born knowing this stuff.

Thanks guys - I find that most stuff seems difficult until you ask - I just put the kickstarter kit on my bike - when I got the kit I scared the hell out of me I put off doing it for a year - then I did some research here and got good instructions from the Husky lads in Emu Plains (Australia) and did it really easy in about 2 hours.

Thanks again