Sign in to follow this  

new Ktm

hey im new to KTM im tradin in yellow for the orange beast and was wondering wot is the best thing to do right after you get them :thumbsup:

Just make sure you check all the nuts and bolts, make sure the air filter is oiled and secured, then make sure you break it in properly. If it is a RFS, make sure you do several heat cycles, I did 5 or 6. Let it get warmed up, then let it cool down, that is one heat cycle. After 5 or 6, do an oil change, then go ride. After 3 or 4 hours, check the valves, which are UBER easy to do. Dave Hopkins can tell you his method, which is really simple. There are no valve shims or anything, just some adjuster bolts, so doing your valves takes as long as it takes you to take off the seat, tank, and if you have big hands, your radiators. Other than valves and oil, ride! Make sure the 2 oil screens are kept clean, and you change oil filters every 15 hours. Good to go!!

Breaks in the engine. Bottom end, top end, valves. It is not the amount of time that is important in breaking in a engine, it is the amount of times it gets hot and cools down. It should let all the bearings and rings, seals, all that stuff get properly seated and cured and hard to expalin... but heat cycles are what is important. My dad used to own and race a professional car racing team... 24 hours of daytona, 12 hours of sebring... and for breaking in an engine, heat cycles were important.

when i broke in my kx i didn't do any of that and i haven't had any problems what so ever.........

mabey its just for bigger bikes

Its not for bigger bikes, it is for all engines of the four stroke nature. Do whatever you want, but if you want to break it in nice and easy and do it correctly so that nothing gets hurt, heat cycles is the way to go. Lets everything get heated and cooled and seated right, and lets everything loosen up. Heat expands things, cool contracts them. Things in a new motor are tight. If you heat it up really fast it gets even tighter and has to work harder to function. Letting it break in slowly helps loosen it up without straining anything.

For the rings to set properly you need to vary the throttle a lot and not idle at the same speed. Breaking in a top end is much different than breaking in the bottom end. Top end is no big deal, 1 hour or so of varying the throttle position. Bottom end has a LOT more parts and needs to be done properly. I am sure you did not damage your engine, a lot of people skip break in and just ride hard.

For the rings to set properly you need to vary the throttle a lot and not idle at the same speed. Breaking in a top end is much different than breaking in the bottom end. Top end is no big deal, 1 hour or so of varying the throttle position. Bottom end has a LOT more parts and needs to be done properly. I am sure you did not damage your engine, a lot of people skip break in and just ride hard.

I would put the engine under load during the heat cycles - not much during the 1st, little more the 2nd and so on - helps seat the rings.

The rings don't need seating like they used to. For a brand new bike you should put put around, changing throttle position and speed often. Let it cool down, do it again. After about 5 or 6 cycles change the oil, check the oil screens, change the oil filters, then go ride. After 3 hours, change the oil and filters again, adjust your valves (they will get tight) and you will be good to go until about 15 hours, depending on how you ride it. Keep checking them every 15 hours and keep track of how tight they get. As the engine breaks in past 30 hours or so, you will notice that you need adjustments less often than before. When the time between adjustments starts to get closer and closer, you need to send Dave Hopkins an email and ask him what to do, most likely you will need new valves at that point.