Sign in to follow this  

Head work worth it

Im looking to make my bike faster but reliably.

would having the head done make a good difference? where would i notice the power?

the bike has full exhaust. and 14/53 gearing. im trying to get some more out of it.

yea sounds good. ima gna try a cam from pro circuit. gna talk to them about a lower end cam. i just dont want any hot starting issues.

yea that sounds real good. main reason im wanting to get some more power was after riding monster mountain this weekend in alabama. its real deep and loamy and as soon as id hit the bike would just rev out and when id up shift it didnt have hte balls to keep pulling hard enough.

Im looking to make my bike faster but reliably.

Well, honestly, that is not nessarily possible. More power puts more strain on everything. Bottom end and transmission for sure. If you increase the power you will increase your chances of breaking something. The question no one can answer is by how much. Odds are you will be safe with a few extra HP but just be aware the risk is there.

Unless all you need to do is climb that one steep hill, good suspension will usually improve your lap times more than additional power will.

they are doing my suspension at the same time. but honestly im not sure if it could get much better than how my dialed in stock stuff is. i havent had any problems on big brakin bumps swapping or head shake. but im sure there is room for improvement some where

porting doesn't decrease reliability minus the fact that you are adding power. there is nothing weaker or odd in there that compromises the engine. you will just get more wear (slight) because you will be pulling more out of your engine. i think it's definately worth it. we have ours done by WMR and they are great.

Easy answer is to put on a 262 cylinder. Leave head stock. More ponies at lower RPM. More torque. No grief on valves due to developing hp at lower revs. No grief on low end since 262 piston is actually no heavier than 248 if you buy the right one.