Sign in to follow this  

Rattle sound at mid-hi rpm

Has anyone heard a rattle noise from their 04 down by your shifter when at higher rpm's. I cannot figure out what the hell is making the noise but it only occurs then and not at idle or below mid range? Thx

How old is your chain? When was the last time you adjusted it? More than likely it's chain slap. I had that and it drove me crazy till I finally adjusted my chain!

Even with your chain properly adjusted, you may/will still have chain slap. Applying some silicone under the upper chain guide (along the top of the swingarm) will help cut down on this noise.

When you first hear it - it's sounds like its coming from the lower left side of the engine. I had a friend ride next to me to get a better idea what was happening and watch the bike. This is the first bike I've ever owned that made this weird sound when the chain stretched.

Has anyone heard a rattle noise from their 04 down by your shifter when at higher rpm's. I cannot figure out what the hell is making the noise but it only occurs then and not at idle or below mid range? Thx

Skidplate if you have one........................

Thanks I'll check the skidplate but I know its not the chain as it is well adjusted. The closest thing I can describe it is, its as if a bb is rattling in a coke can.

I'm 100% positive that what you are referring to is chain slap. Even a well adjusted chain will do it, but not as loud. Chain hits chain guide as well as inside of your frame. I wouldn't worry unless it's really tearing up your frame (feel behind frame on left side).

If you recently installed a skid plate I'd go for that.. or at least make sure the bolts are tight if you have one. Mine is noisy at mid to high RPM.

CHAIN SLAP dude tighten that shit to spec and there should still be a bit of it when your going slow.