Sign in to follow this  

First Time Ride to BAJA???

Planning on going on a guided tour of Baja in late October, i ride A DRZ 400 S and was wondering about any must do items to the bike of course new tires and check the obvious? But Any help from expert baja riders will be appreciated let me know about any must see sights as well

Thanks in advance :thumbsup::ride:

first I hope your going with Tim @ baja bound because he is by far the best and second lots of air in your tires and lots of water.. just kiddin !. you should either talk to surfnride or bajaboundmoto. they will give all the info you could ever need. good luck :thumbsup:

But Any help from expert baja riders will be appreciated let me know about any must see sights as well

Thanks in advance :thumbsup::ride:

You mean you don't want complete rookies giving you advice? LOL

I guided/rode sweep for a couple of those 'baja motorcycle tour groups'-helped out on +/- 40 of those 'tours'. I'm not going to call myself an expert-but would be happy to anwer specific questions.

which operation are ya going with?

No matter how ya get there, baja is a great place to ride. As for what to see and where to go and what to bring-it really depends on your route.

who ya riding with, and whats the itinerary?

I am riding with Baja Bound with 8 to 10 riders for a four night trip unknown of the itinerary, definitely want to spend a night at the world famous Sky ranch and hope to see some of the coast. I will be installing new tires and possibly a chain its original with 3K miles. I don't have rim locks but thought they might be a benefit?? I currently run a Tera flex and a trakmaster upfront i will be changing the tires and heavy duty tubes. Double Checking all the nuts :ride: and bolts and just dont want to forget anything :thumbsup:

Well, I am an EXPERT! I have ridden and raced Baja for thirty-five years, I have worked with three bike tour groups and led 4x4 car tours for a foreign tour company.

And my advice is to ask your Tour Operator.

If that person is Tim, fine, you have the best, Cracker1 is right on!

If you prefer to not ask your guide at this time (late October is down the road), sit tight, you will likely get a detailed list of what to bring, set up your bike, what to expect, etc.

But I know how it is to want to get ready, so feel free to PM SurfnRide.....Cracker1 is right again!

Riding with a professional guide is a great way to get the feel of how to ride and behave in Baja. Please consider carefully the advice and comments directed your way by some on this board who disparage such businesses.

Baja Bound is an excellent choice. Tim will supply you with a complete bike prep list.

Have yourself a nice trip!

I am riding with Baja Bound with 8 to 10 riders for a four night trip unknown of the itinerary, definitely want to spend a night at the world famous Sky ranch and hope to see some of the coast. I will be installing new tires and possibly a chain its original with 3K miles. I don't have rim locks but thought they might be a benefit?? I currently run a Tera flex and a trakmaster upfront i will be changing the tires and heavy duty tubes. Double Checking all the nuts :ride: and bolts and just dont want to forget anything :thumbsup:

Yep--new tires with HD tubes and 16lbs of air is the way to go. Pick a 'desert' tire--one with the side wall to take it. I like the newer Dunlop DOT tires, and the Kenda Carlsbad gives good value. tire choice is an endless subject--but for baja go for durability over hook up. New chain is a good idea-remember to change both sprockets with that chain-and dont re-use the nuts on the rear sprocket. Try to put a few hundred miles on the new chain so it stretches before the trip. Make sure the rear sprocket is steel. check the chain slider as well. New cables wouldnt hurt either. Grease everything--wheel bearings, linkage, steering stem.

Check spokes, and bring a second airfilter. While the DRz is a bit dated-it is up to the task. I've found occasional electrical shorts on them while touring in Baja--an extra fuse (or two) is a good idea. Obviously change the oil, and check all fluids. Consider a new battery if you have the slightest concern about the existing one.

Make sure you have a capable water delivery system. At least 1 litre. I zip tye both ends of the drinking tube--they come undone. Power bars, matches, sunscreen and a baseball hat go into my backpack. One problem i found when i had to ride 'sweep' was the incessant dust.

I experimented with different filters and found the surgical syle filters made with 'Coolmax' material are awesome. If you are into saving your lungs--consider at least taking one along. Home Depot carries them. The regular cup shaped filters for sanding and painting are to hot.

My favorite book on baja adventuring is Ed Daracks "Wind Water Sun" - its about a guy who kayaks the length of Baja-he goes into the history, geography etc. making it less of a kayak book, and much more like a fun 'intro to baja' type book. Most guys use the "baja Almanac" as their map.

LIzard Lady has amazingly detailed GPS coordinates of almost all the stuff to ride down there--if you are into that GPS stuff. Other sites with good Baja discussions and info include advrider.com, and baja.net.

Check 'em out.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions-like i said--i'm no 'baja' expert-but willing to offer my .02 pesos worth. There are a couple guys from Baja--Mexican nationals-who are here on thumpertalk. They speak the language, ride it every day. If ya get a chance to chat with someone who actually lives down there you can get some real insights--they are the true 'baja experts'.

Well, how about that.....

SJDRZ, I just figured out who you are. Glad to have you along!

- The ride is full with 9 guys. Five So.West locals with own bikes and 4 on our XR's/CRFX's.

- Itinerary is on the QT but you'll for sure be a night at Mikes Ranch and you'll get to ride along the Pacific.

- Rim locks are always a good idea.

- Run the full knobby tires you are personally comfortable with. HD tubes for sure. If you get a flat it's not a worry, we'll take care of it for you and have you back on the trail in a few minutes (especially if Chilly is the sweeper, he's a sub-five minute tire changer).

- "Bring a second air filter" ?? Don't sweat it. We supply new air filters in client's bikes during the trip.

- Snack bars, dust masks, and sunscreen... again, no worries, we supply it all.

- Really, don't go too crazy on your bike, don't spend next years overhead prepping. We're able to take care of almost all bike issues but if something unfix-able happens we'll put you on top of a crf450x to finish the ride on.

- Yes, you'll receive a full list of bike prep. But it's just 4 days, not 9, so don't go too crazy on prep time and expense.

Roost on!

Well, how about that.....

SJDRZ, I just figured out who you are. Glad to have you along!

- The ride is full with 9 guys. Five So.West locals with own bikes and 4 on our XR's/CRFX's.

- Itinerary is on the QT but you'll for sure be a night at Mikes Ranch and you'll get to ride along the Pacific.

- Rim locks are always a good idea.

- Run the full knobby tires you are personally comfortable with. HD tubes for sure. If you get a flat it's not a worry, we'll take care of it for you and have you back on the trail in a few minutes (especially if Chilly is the sweeper, he's a sub-five minute tire changer).

- "Bring a second air filter" ?? Don't sweat it. We supply new air filters in client's bikes during the trip.

- Snack bars, dust masks, and sunscreen... again, no worries, we supply it all.

- Really, don't go too crazy on your bike, don't spend next years overhead prepping. We're able to take care of almost all bike issues but if something unfix-able happens we'll put you on top of a crf450x to finish the ride on.

- Yes, you'll receive a full list of bike prep. But it's just 4 days, not 9, so don't go too crazy on prep time and expense.

Roost on!

You are going to have a great time. I've ridden with Tim 4 times and hope to get down for a 5th ride early next year. One of the best things about riding Baja is the long 100+ mile days on the bike. You will get your fill of ride time. But anything you can do to improve your fitness and endurance will be helpful. When you are riding tired, you are more likely to have a mishap.

R

So my six pack and two shots of Jose daily to get my body prepped is not the best idea I guess

So my six pack and two shots of Jose daily to get my body prepped is not the best idea I guess

Ha, thats johnnyairtimes pre-race regimen. :thumbsup:

:ride::cry: ... ya, and supported by Boudroux and his buddy Tim. :ride:

:thumbsup:

Hey don't bring me into this Brian was running things that night. I was an innocent bystander that gave into peer pressure.