Sign in to follow this  

Replacing 2000 DRZ400E head pipe with FMF Powerbomb

Has anyone replace the stock exhaust header with a FMF powerbomb or other after market pipe and kept the stock silencer/spark arrester? Do after market head pipes work with the rest of the stock exhaust system.

Jerry

I've done a couple, you need more main jet and a little more needle and it seems to work OK if you can handle the lame sound of the stock exhaust. I like my Q plus the powerbomb header for the nicest sound and its a few pounds lighter. You have to either cut the header shorter or take some length out of the stock muffler to get her done. On both that I have done, I shortened the muffler. Good luck if your going to do it. Also, the packing in the joint of the stock muffler can be enlarged to fit the powerbomb without too much difficulty. :thumbsup: vanram

I put a White Bros headpipe on my 2000 E with the stock muffler. I had to shorten it approximately 1 1/4 inches and I reused the original gasket that goes between the pipe and muffler.

I would hope so, the reason most would replace the headpipe is for better flow which would mean a jetting change for optimum performance.

I need to replace the head pipe due to a large dent and not to increase performance (getting back into riding after a 25 year break). Will an 2000 DRZ400S model head pipe fit a 2000 DRZ400EY engine?

Thanks, Jerry

If your just fixing a dent, shout out to the TT crew that your looking for an E header. I picked up an entire E exhaust from a memeber here for a few more bucks than shipping.

The S headpipe with fit the engine but will need the gasket to fit the muffler side I think. But that is a terrible idea if you ask me, a step in the wrong direction for sure. An E headpipe from any year will work, so will one from a K and even an R (klx400r). The S/SM/SR from any year will work with the beforementioned gasket.

Is your bike jetted properly now?

I just bought the bike and have road it twice for less than an hour total. It performs well as is, but the fact that the headpipe has a significant dent at the bottom of the lower bend and another along the side of the pipe makes me want to change it. The exhaust system is all original. The only mods that I can see are the 3x3 on the air box and other mods of this type (grinding the shifter to eliminate a sharp corner, etc...). I found someone on TT that has a S model head pipe, but haven't found an E model yet.

So to be clear, if I install a hi flow or power bomb pipe, keeping the stock silencer, I will need to rejet?

Thanks,

Jerry

Not true, the "E" silencer is a bigger I/D than the "S" at the join.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::cry:

Isn't there some ring/gasket that fits between the s headpipe and muffler? I thought I read there was.

So to be clear, if I install a hi flow or power bomb pipe, keeping the stock silencer, I will need to rejet?

My best guess is that yes you will need to rejet but to be sure I'd ask eddie. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Jerry

Clear :thumbsup:

I had already rejetted my E when I added the White Bros headpipe. The pipe didn't seem to be any better flowing than the stockpipe maybe a little better at the bends but not enough to increase flow alot. Even if it did help flow considerably I'm still running a stock muffler after it which flows the same no matter what headpipe I'm running. I mainly changed it so I could have a stainless headpipe.

Can't say anything about the wb headpipe, never have and don't ever see running one of their exhaust systems. It could very well not be an improvment over the stock. I do know that the muzzy and yosh are significantly larger in diameter and will flow more even with the stock muffler.

Burned has said many, many times that the headpipe is a major restriction to the drz.

Isn't there some ring/gasket that fits between the s headpipe and muffler? I thought I read there was.

Yes there is a gasket on each bike.

But the O/D and I/D is different on S and E, from memory (failing fast at my age) the O/D of the S one is 2-mm smaller than an E.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

But the O/D and I/D is different on S and E, from memory (failing fast at my age) the O/D of the S one is 2-mm smaller than an E.

Isn't the muffler inlet the same size though? Then you'd need to use the S gasket with the S headpipe and the E muffler?

Isn't the muffler inlet the same size though? Then you'd need to use the S gasket with the S headpipe and the E muffler?

No, the muffler inlet is 2-mm smaller on the S.

So the headpipe is 3mm smaller and the muffler inlet is 2mm smaller on the S? How is it that people are making the E headpipe fit on the S muffler? I thought they were just removing the gasket.

Right, forget my memory, it was 4mm different.

S header is 38mm at the join.

S silencer is 43mm internal diameter.

E header is 41mm at the join.

E silencer is 47mm internal diameter.

That is all fact, I have just measured the S header and Silencer, they are now all over the front room carpet, at midnight, just what I needed :ride:

The FMF and E silencer I measured when making a spacer for them.

The only way an E or FMF header is going to fit an S silencer is to either make a gasket/spacer, or sort through all the exhaust gaskets at your local friendly spare shop, I have done both.

Now before anybody says, UK exhaust are a different size to US ones,

NO THEY ARE NOT, I ordered my E gasket in the UK using a part number from Ron Ayers, In fact I always get my part numbers this way, and so far everything has been correct.

Neil. :thumbsup::cry::ride:

• Like 1