Sign in to follow this  

detune a wr250f for trail riding

I'd like to detune my son's wr250f for high altitude single track and jeep road riding. Looking for lower end lugging. He used it motocross. I'm considering taking off the White Bros pipe and putting the stock pipe back on, as well as re-jetting. Riding altitude will range between 10-12000 feet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

why would you want to detune it?

mabe you could find a flywheel weight, but the flywheel on there is already pretty heavy.

if anything the white bros probly adds bottom end, but you'd have to look at a dyno to know for sure.

if i were you, i would just throw some hand guards, a bash plate, and mabe add a few teeth to the rear sprocket.

oh, and the only real disadvantages to the white bros pipe is that it probly doesnt have a spark arrester and is a bit lowder (which may be a problem around you)

You could try a powernow, and a power bomb header. Both are suppose to increase low and mid range. Gear change would certainly help with crawling power, just be carefull in your selection or he may need to shift more and more.

Detuneing it won't help him any. I ride my Wr in near stock condition in single track. When i say single track i mean worry about the bars hitting trees and virgin stuff. If you want to give it a detune switch it from YZ timing to WR timing. That should be enough. And you save a ton of cash. I'm all for cheap cheap mods. Get the stock pipe back on and throw in the GYM silencer to stick in there. I think it's called a silencer. But i run that in my 01 WR 94 decibels. I love it.

I know exactly what you want and you're not going to get any low end lugging power out of a WR250F without putting in a 290 big bore. I've been there, done that. Added most everything I could and still didn't have the bottom I wanted. I'm hopping from what I've read that the 290 will do it for me. Next best thing are what someone else said - powerbomb SX (make sure it's the SX version) header and a powernow or AVnow.