Sign in to follow this  

Diesel

after watching powerblock every saturday for the past two years, i got to thinkin. why not make a diesel powered off-road bike? you can get 500hp out of a diesel pickup without any major engine work. i think a diesel powered bike would be the ultimate trail machine, maybe even a half-decent mx bike. of course we would have to wait for efi and some sort of supercharger or turbo, and it would cost a few thousand more, but i would buy one.

The problem with Diesels is that they need to be bigger than petrol to produce the same power, this then means extra weight. Maybe not such an issue with open dessert style riding but for tight enduro riding i doubt it will catch on. Having said that there are aviation manufacturers that are putting lots into R&D of Diesel and are making them lightweight for light aircraft use.

There is another one in develoment in the US right now, that seems to be pretty successful. The US Army has already given them some money to further develooment and get some bikes going for them.

Check out this web site, http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/ These guys were supposed to start shipping commercial versions of their military bike this past March, but there have been production delays due to increase in military demand. 100 mpg sounds pretty good right now with gas prices near $3.