Sign in to follow this  

non-clutch shifting

i have heard that it hurts the bike to shift without pulling the clutch.all of my friends do it and theirs are fine but i am still concerned.does anyone have an answer?

thx

i have heard that it hurts the bike to shift without pulling the clutch.all of my friends do it and theirs are fine but i am still concerned.does anyone have an answer?

thx

idk if its bad but u can do it in cars too, and the big riggers do it all the time, its called "floating gears"

i do it wen im WOT jus let off and give it a kick

and i had to do it wen i snapped my clutch lever >.<

its ok to down shift without the clutch, but not to upshift. i doubt you would see problem for a long time, but it does cause some premature wear

it won't hurt the engine at all. upshifting or downshifting as long as you don't have the throttle on when you shift. it's no different than pulling in the clutch because there is no load on the gears when your not on the throttle.

on kfx's you dont even have to let off the gas, i know its hard on it but im just stating....and the reason trucker dont use it is because if they had to use the clutch every shift with 2,000+ ft. lbs. and 600 HP they would fry their clutch so quick it isn't funny...kinda like trying to use a splitter every gear on a old tranny/truck it gets hot and doesn't shift right

fyi - Racers don't use the clutch to shift. Why? Because they just replace everything anyway and their bikes are better equiped. That's the mindset.

You can do it, but I wouldn't do it with the throttle pinned.

Most important, don't believe your "racer" friends. They do it out of ignorance. One racer does it and the next follows. "Dude, it's O.K. Everyone does it." :ride: What you don't know is everyone might be jacking up their bikes but not telling you about the problems or worst, they don't know about the problems.

Do you play the guitar? It's the same thing. There used to be these things called "chords." :thumbsup: You had to bend your fingers in odd manners to make the chords. What a concept right? Well, the bands of today, figured out another way to do it. They changed the tuning of the open strings on the guitar. Now all they have to do is "bar" or press down all the strings with one finger and it's the same chord.

Go ahead. Go click on your music video channel. You'll see it. It works, but if one of those guys said, "I can play the guitar", I'd say, "Here. try mine." I bet they can't play it well.

Fundamentals. Shifting your bike or playing a guitar. It might be a drag, but in the long run, you'll feel better about yourself if your just do it correctly.

and the reason trucker dont use it is because if they had to use the clutch every shift with 2,000+ ft. lbs. and 600 HP they would fry their clutch so quick it isn't funny...kinda like trying to use a splitter every gear on a old tranny/truck it gets hot and doesn't shift right

:thumbsup: im glad someone knew what i was talking about

well to me even if u can shift without the clutch i will still use it i actually like using the clutch =] its cool.

You know what - it's quicker on these little bikes to use the clutch. Just keep the throttle pinned WFO on the straights and slap the clutch for a millisecond to break the power the clutch and shift at the same time you slap it. That's exactly how most of the drag race shifters work. Many kill the spark for a moment to "unload" the clutch so that the shifter can snap it into the next gear.

Someone mentioned that you can downshift but not upshift.... I think it's exactly the opposite. On the upshift you have the torque of the engine going to the gears, on the downshift, your and the bikes entire body weight...

Downshifting is tough on engines if done without the clutch and done at too high of an RPM.

I'd suggest using the clutch at all times - with just a slap during speed shifting UP through the gears.

Mike

I figured down shifting would be worse, with the clutch I spike the RPMs up a bit to get it on the same page as the wheel to make it a bit smoother. Wouldnt it be best to let the clutch out at peak HP, versus reving the crap out of your bike and shifting near the red line like the movies show?