Sign in to follow this  

RM 125 crank problems

My 1988 rm 125 has a very hard turning crank after I relaced the main bearings and seals and had the crank rebuilt. Is this normal. Also when im turning it I hear no grinding and it turns smoothly but hard. I have torn the bottom end apart 5 times to see if I could get the crank to loosen up but its not. Also I have a super thick gasket in it to and have all the screws in it and tightened. But when there not tightened the crank turns alot better. What should I do?

Lightly tap both sides of the crank with a hammer. Not hard enough to damage it but just knock on the fly wheel end once or twice then knock the primary gear end the same way once you have the cases all tighten together.

Pretty much when you tighten your cases your crank is not settling. Its not a big deal this happens all the time. Its smart to screw the fly wheel nut over the crack half way before hitting the crank, This allows you to hit the nut and not the treads.

I know of people having to push start the bike and rag them out until the crank sets into the position. But i always make sure the crank is free before i proceed with putting the fly wheel and clutch cover on.

Make sure the tranny shifts good, put the cylinder on and crank her up...It will settle in pretty quick after a few easy rides and you should be good to go !

Sure if its all put together right and everythings smooth. But i would have knocked it into position before putting the clutch cover and flywheel on.