Sign in to follow this  

400s vs. 400SM Whats the difference

I am torn as to which new bike to buy. Other than personal preference as far as where i ride (street vs. dirt). What is the difference between the two bikes. Honestly....Is there any real difference other than the tires,rims, brakes???? Thanks in advance, anxiously awaiting info so I can buy a new bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::ride:

Differences

Swingarm, forks, brakes.

The difference between the 2 is that the S is a dual sport bike. The SM is a street bike. To optimise either bike you need to spend some money. The real question is will you need a dual sport, street or dirt bike? Both bikes can go either way just each is a little closer to the end of the spectrum. If you are somewhere you can plate an E that would also be a question. So in Cali it's not for you the cali E sucks.

I have an S it is a good do it all kind of bike. Takes a few bucks to bring out the best, but it is still by far the most versatile of the group. A few E parts (FCR, cams and base gasket) a few SM parts (wheels) life is truly good. :thumbsup:

For the most part, wheels, brakes and suspension are the 'only' differences between the SM and S. Of course, those all add up to make it a completely different bike.

If you plan on going in the dirt, get the S and buy some SM wheels for it. Check out My Garage for a good look at both worlds. I got the S and did a bit of work to it, I'll never regret the money I spent. In the Woods pic in my garage, that's my bro's YZ 450. My bike runs right along side of it, no problem.

The SM will kick ass on the street, but sucks in the dirt (for anything more than simple trail riding.)

The S will kick ass in the dirt, but sucks on the street (for anything more than simple surface streeting.)

The question you have to ask is how much time do you wanna spend in the dirt. If it's like 80% street and 20% dirt, get the SM. The more the percentage scale tips away from street riding, I'd say get the S.

Hope that helps!

The SM is more suited to paved roads and hard packed dirt. It is somewhat scary as it skates around on gravel....and it is slick on loose dirt.

I think the S is the better starting point if the purpose is dual sport type riding...and when the funds are there...the SM mode can be achieved as well.

Some guys swear by a dirted SM. I think that is fine...but if the intent was Dual Sport...it is the poorest starting point. If the intention is a fun grippy street hauler...the SM gets the nod...and will allow you to migrate to dirt if you desire.

Just don't go buying the SM as a dirt bike expecting to dual sport on the 17's. This will get you hurt. Some may suggest putting knobbies on the 17's. This thought is sacrilige (worst possible option) as far as I am concerned. It destroys the SM street capability and is a poor compromise for a dirt bike as well.

The suspension on the SM would appear to be more desirable as it was "sourced" from the RM. However it has been revalved and modified for street duty to the point where it is no longer the same animal. Therefore I would not consider it an advantage. Ask any expert you like...but the suspension on the 2002 and up S is a pretty damn good setup. Some have swapped out the forks for RM units anyway as they prefer the racier look of the USD forks. According to Eddie...there is no performance advantage to this...and he does it on all of his DRZ's.

Differences

Swingarm, forks, brakes.

The difference between the 2 is that the S is a dual sport bike. The SM is a street bike. To optimise either bike you need to spend some money. The real question is will you need a dual sport, street or dirt bike? Both bikes can go either way just each is a little closer to the end of the spectrum. If you are somewhere you can plate an E that would also be a question. So in Cali it's not for you the cali E sucks.

I have an S it is a good do it all kind of bike. Takes a few bucks to bring out the best, but it is still by far the most versatile of the group. A few E parts (FCR, cams and base gasket) a few SM parts (wheels) life is truly good. :thumbsup:

In CA aren't all models running the same powerplant and carb set up? They all get the BSR36 carb and lower compression.

The only real issue is where are you going to do most of your riding and which surface are you going to be least dissapointed with sacrificing performance? If you want to haul _ss on the street get the SM. If you want to jam in the dirt get the E and if you want as balanced a performer as possible on both surfaces, get the S. What ever way you go, just :ride:!