Sign in to follow this  

Plate Loss

How many of you Oregon Dualsport riders have gotten the letter from the DMV stating that your bike does not meet federal safety standards and you have to return your license plate? Just curious!!! I know that it has happened to two riders here in the Medford area.

Jim

I have a plated klx so I'll keep my eyes out for a notice :thumbsup:

How many of you Oregon Dualsport riders have gotten the letter from the DMV stating that your bike does not meet federal safety standards and you have to return your license plate? Just curious!!! I know that it has happened to two riders here in the Medford area.

Jim

Jim, what brand of bike were they riding, and what year?

Both of the bike were Yamahas. Both were 06 models. One was a WR 250 and the other was a WR 450. Both were here in the Medford area. Now some of us are waiting for the axe to fall when it's time for sticker renewal :thumbsup::ride:

Jim

Can you street-kit the bike and have it inspected?

I got my WA bike plated via Oregon but it looks like the door has closed. It's time to make friends in Idaho!

No need to worry if you bought a plated bike in Oregon from the factory like a KLX. The bikes in question were both bike that had dual sport kits put on and plated. My understanding is that it may have something to do with the numbers on your registration as to whether you get a letter or not. At least for now. I believe the door is now closed on morphed bikes getting plates like the WR's. :thumbsup:

My klx is a 400r, otherwise known as a drz400e. Not a factory dual sport by any means.

Can you street-kit the bike and have it inspected?

No, it doesnt meet emission requirements or safety from the DOT, DOE, NHTSA etc. Must have an emission label. I knew it would be a matter of time. WA is already doing it too. Had a buddy with a plated 99 KDX220, he was just told he need to get it inspected. He didnt, and they p[urged his title from the system. So now when it gets titles, he will have to have it inspectyed as there is no title on it. So they got him either way. He sold the bike, so dont know the final outcome. And if you dont tag a vehicle fro the 8th yr in a row, they will also purge the title. Nothing in the system. So if you have a resto project in the garage, tag it once every 7 years.

My father-in-law rides a XR400 in Baker City that he put a kit on. He said that since it has been plated he won't have any problems registering it for road use from now on. However, certain bikes still don't qualify under the new regs and you can't add kits to bikes anymore (even if they would qualify now). :thumbsup: Stupid if you ask me, but that's why I like Idaho. No Portland liberals screwing up the laws for the rest of the state.

A good friend of mine from Bellingham recently bought a used wr250 in Oregon. Part of the deal was the guy he bought it from in Oregon was to get it plated in Oregon before my friend from Wa bought it. The guy in Oregon got it plated and sold it to my friend from Bellingham with a bill of sale title to follow. The State of Oregon now wants the plate back before they will issue him an orv use only title. He has deciced to "sell" the bike to a cousin of his in Boise , plate it there and then transfer it to Wa. Seems like a huge pain in the #$$ just to conect some trail together. What I can't understand is why these dudes on Choppers with no suspension, front brakes, mufflers, mirrors a can get anything they want and we can't get a plate on a silly little trail bike that is infinately more safe than a Harley or a Gold Wing.

P Bryant

What I can't understand is why these dudes on Choppers with no suspension, front brakes, mufflers, mirrors a can get anything they want and we can't get a plate on a silly little trail bike that is infinately more safe than a Harley

Unreal isn't it. There was a guy on a Harley trying to go through the course for a motorcycle endorsement. He could hardly turn it through the cones. Those things are so unstable they can hardly stay vertical on the factory kickstand. It's the last air cooled motor allowed on the road in regard to emissions, but no one is pulling their plate.

And last year in the poker run of the desert 100 i passed a guy struggling with a harley 883 way out on the course....go figure!

Joe

Keep in mind, we had a bill that the lawmakers decides to send to the voters. This was last year, we basically adopted all California emissions. I dont think many realized how tough this is going to be. I assume it will apply to all motorized vehicles, including bikes on the road. So this is just the beginning. For the guy in WA who said he doesnt have to worry, not so. You can easily lose your plate anytime. A notice will come in the mail (the VIN will show it as off road) and they will ask that you bring it in for an inspection. Now if you have all the correct gear, you might be OK, but it better have it all. If you dont reply, they purge the info from the WA database which will require a WSP inspection.

Keep in mind, we had a bill that the lawmakers decides to send to the voters. This was last year, we basically adopted all California emissions. I dont think many realized how tough this is going to be. I assume it will apply to all motorized vehicles, including bikes on the road. So this is just the beginning. For the guy in WA who said he doesnt have to worry, not so. You can easily lose your plate anytime. A notice will come in the mail (the VIN will show it as off road) and they will ask that you bring it in for an inspection. Now if you have all the correct gear, you might be OK, but it better have it all. If you dont reply, they purge the info from the WA database which will require a WSP inspection.

But won't they grandfather the bike in? You may need an equipment inspection but you shouldn't need to meet new emissions requirements?

I hate the politics of this state.

Greg