Sign in to follow this  

holding back = rocky/puddle/roots

well pretty much every trail system out here in KY (that i know of/ride) is nothing but rocks. since wher eim at is the foot hills, everything its rock.

so my new riding place, (beter than old one for rocks) is a little more bike compatible.

everyhting here is ATV crazy which sucks.

only thing i notice when riding is that i constantly hold myself back.

i dont know what it is im holding back from. but its like i cant make myself go faster.

95% of the trails is rocks.

i think a part of it is me having to pick lines so fast. there not very clear at all.

i would like to get where i can at leats wind through 2nd gear going trough stuff that right now, i 1st and 2nd gear, but coast some as well.

is there a way besides just riding i can get better faster at handling the kentucky terrain?

another thing is when its not rocks, its huge deep water ruts from quads.

i used to think "im gonna find a good place without this junk" but now i wanna get to where i can ride it fast!

so its constant up down up down up down and at every down, about 10 inches of water.

should i learn to just blast through? i usually go pretty fast through these, but i still feel like i can be goin so much faster.

IDK what word of simple advice i need to just start goin nike style on it or what.

I know its all mental. cause its really not hard to ride. my first time out there, i didnt wreck any, and the 700 raptor and banshee i was with didnt ever leave me much. (there both really good riders)

i need a way to remind myself its ok to go fast or something. IDK.

any thoughts on what my problem might be?

im lost, cause i know i CAN go faster, and i can go faster without really "pushing myself" to do so. but i just dont. but i want to. AAAAAH

:thumbsup::ride::cry:

Not alot you can do except work on picking lines,well ahead, so you do not ride off you front fender. Also stay focused on the trail so your mind does not worry about rocks,speed,crashing and such. The last time we went to our local rock garden it took me about half the day to get back into it :thumbsup:

i usually stay aimed pretty far ahead, only time i am ridin front fender is in continus up/down sections with rocks and water at bottom to be sure my front tire doesnt get caught up, since im blind going up then sudden drop off.

me and a friend are goin ridin saturday. so im gonna try a few new techniques out there this time.

any crazy thing to try? im up for anything, i got nothin better to do. :thumbsup:

Stand up, stand up, stand up........if your standing, rocks, roots, and other obsticles are a piece of cake.

Stand....look farther ahead....twist that throttle.

Yeah just have to get good at pickin lines and being kinda throttle happy. Body placement is also key. Today I had the best day riding in my life. I was confident, going way faster through the tight stuff than I ever have, and had 5 times as much fun! It was great, I also realized that sometimes, when things get squirrly, you just have to wing it!

working on picking the right line will help a lot and just riding rocks will help too! as punisher said you NEED to stand up!!! sitting down in a rocky section is a definite no no.

If all you are worried about is speed then I say bugger the consequences and open that throttle wide and just plough through everything. You might crash (often) but hey it's speed you want and speed you shall have.

Because I'm not a racer (where speed is the primary focus) I like to set my priorities such that enjoyment of riding and being out there is up top. To best enjoy my ride I try not to fall off much, and not going fast helps a lot in this regard.

Why not join an MX club where there are no quads in your way and you can tear up the track as much as you like? That would also make it a bit safer for those of us who view the trails not as free race tracks but as places where we can ride our bikes as safely as we can without hurting anyone or getting hurt by anyone.

One rider was killed up this way a week ago, another badly scribbled. What's the bet that at least one of those riders had told themselves (to use SkylineGTR's own words) that it was "OK to go fast"

Meatbomb........

^ no offense but thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. not gonna go there with ya, its your opinion...im just letting you know, it didnt mean jack to me. sorry.

Im goin riding tomorrow, so im gonna try out standing alot more, and clickin up a gear, that way i have to go faster.

im gonna get some vid/pics as well.

Try quick shifting the bike and riding a gear higher than you're used to and lugging the bike with tourqe and not reving it. You'll gradually get faster.

Should you feel your self getting stuck in the mud sit down hard near the back of the seat so your tire digs in and blip the throttle don't pin it otherwise the tire will dig a hole. Carry you momentum into the mud hole (ie: get speed up before you hit the mud) rather than when you're in it already. Save yourself from getting stuck by stopping first and picking the best line. Always ignore the kid pointing at the best line.

Stand in the rocks and look far forward. My biggest fear in the rocks is damaging my motor. I've noticed some WEC riders take both feet off in the rocks (boulders) and paddle through them.

i will be leading tomorrow, since im the onyl onehats been there that im going with. sop i will be making fast line choices.

im gonna try gettin into 3rd and doing like you say luggin it around.

i need to buy a skid plate bad!! its on my list as #1 priority right now.

maybe you should try following someone that is a little more experienced and use thier lines...

not gonna happen. its all quads besides my dad and one friend.

and im the most experienced at rocky trails that i ride with.

when i did go with the quads, i usualy followed the lines of there right tire. it helped alot. i think just goin out and just making myself ride faster by clikin up will work. i will let ya know by tomorrow night. :thumbsup:

If you're following quad tracks that weave in and out of trees, as well as having ruts, try crossing the ruts and taking the straightest line possible.

Other than that, it's just going to be experience. Experiencing going a little too fast and having the front deflect off a rock - a momentary panic - and then grab traction. You'll slowly develop confidence as to how well your bikes suspension will handle the rocks.

If you simply gung-ho it you won't know where your skill level is and then thrash yourself or your bike on the rocks. Be patient and you won't end up in the hospital!

oh ya following a quad wont help you a ton i guess you just work on choosing your lines the hard (er) way

k, i will try a more straight ahead aproach.

its freakin 4:05 here, and i have to leave around 10:30. lol. at least i will be well rested...haha.

If you are having a hard time with rocks, seriously, the best advice is to just pick a straight line and gas it through. When you are on the gas your suspension is working properly, and you won't feel the half of it and get through without wasting much energy.

Doug

S-Tree towers. i was on the roughest trails out there last time. i rode the ones i can fly on this time.

i found the problem i think.

i led the whole way this time, and i didnt hesitate at all. i wasnt really pushing myself at all, and i stayed in 2nd-3rd gear.

i think having to ride behind 2 quads slowed me down. maybe even riding behind anyone slows me down. i think cause i wory about what ther doing...not me.

this time it was great. thanks for the input though guys. i figured this one out though!! :thumbsup:

had a great day of riding. about 4-5 hours, about 75 miles, and didnt wreck any/break anything. weather rocked to.

Your on the right trek , You'll will find the more u ride , and KNOW the trail , the faster u will be . I ride the same conditions as u here in Washington state , Larch mountain Yacolt Forrest , Oregon state Tillimook Forrest , standing while riding over rocks and roots a must , The more u know your terrain the faster u will ride and not even know it. The other day I was riding Tillimook and found myself pinned throttle in 4th gear up a favorite hill climb, I usually do in 3rd , And didn't even realize it till it was time to down shift, looked behind me for my partner and he was waaaaaaaaaaaaay back there. So patience, patience, patience, speed will come as u get to know the terrain :thumbsup:

Skyline:

Never ever ride behind a quad in his line. The lines that you should take on a bike is completely different than what they should take. Also when you get on hillclimbs you need to speed up the hill and they can just crawl if they want to. :thumbsup::ride: