Sign in to follow this  

K&N??

I wouldn't run one, never heard anything good about them except in pavement only vehicles. Put them in dust and watch your engine go boom.

Do a search. You'll find that the vast majority of info is negative regarding K&N's, especially regarding useage in OHV's.

Hey Chaz I start my life member AMA status next year myself!! That will be nice. There was a time when you could buy a lifemembership for $250!! Wish I woulda done it!! Thanks for the K&N input guys.

I ran the K&N for a couple months and loved it, until I saw an official study on thier effectiveness in filtering dirt... I stood up for the K&N's 'till the end, I've been running them religiously in my hot-rods, Harleys and 4X4's forever... But, I just can't refute science, so do a search, and see if you can find the post with the link to the study... I wont run it anymore - no chances with my baby. I'll admit, there is a noticable difference in throttle response and power in general, but just not worth the risk to me... But if you decide otherwise, I'll sell you mine - PM me if ya want...

same here, i had one no real difference in anything accept a lighter wallet. i dont want to blow my enigne im sticking to foam from now on. i trust that the foam is going to help keep more dirt out of my engine.

In my un-scientific reaserch I didn't find anything explosive in my intake. F-250 6.8 intake and 04' CR450 intake. I wiped them both down and found a very light, very fine film. When I pulled the foam filter to replace it with the K&N I found a tear, so there goes the dirt theory. the thing with Hondas is the PITA to get the filter in right. Screw that up and it doesn't matter what kind of filter you run. I know the K&N is perfectly seated and sealed.

The buggy's we used to run with K&N's but we ran pre filters too. The only way to flow more air is to allow more air though the filter...which means bigger holes basically. The K&N will work but you have to be religious about oiling it each and every time going out, not cleaning afterwards you don't get dirt in the motor in the garage usually but it does get hot enough to evap some of that oil. The K&N lives and breathes , well lives and filters anyway, on that thing being well oiled. I would have no prob running one on my two stroke (I did for quite a while) because a top end rebuild is expected every season, but on a 4-stroke, no thanks! Your call though.

I would call a repudable shop in your area and ask them if they see any more motors needing cylinder work with or without K&N's...depends on the local ride evironmental conditions a bit too. desert vs mountains vs mud all different