Sign in to follow this  

Little Thumpette Advice...

My granddaughter will be 8 years old in about a month. I want to get her into trail riding. She's one of the taller kids in her grade, with about a 24" inseam. Should I start her on a 50cc and move her up quickly (leaving the 50 for her 6 year old brother) or should I look for a bigger bike? How big? Any recommendations?

I like the idea of the 50, get her used to it, then get a bigger one, saving the 50 for a "hand me down". Exactly what we did with our sons. PW50, Honda 50 to a KX60 to a pair of KX65's to a RM85, KX85 and KX100. Currently KX85, KX100, KXF250F. Handed down the boots/pants jersey's too. Next year, probably KX100, KX250f, KX250f. Youngest was 5 yrs old on the PW, oldest is now 14. Started 5 years ago.

That is cutting it close. My step son is 8 years old and has a 23" inseem and is pretty good on a 50, but about ready for a 70 in size. I don't think a 70 has a clutch either which would be another thing to look at in a good way. As for speed you can govern them down with a screw on the throttle so that will be easy to keep the speeds low at the beginning.

On the other hand always having a hand me down is good... :thumbsup:

If she's on the tall side (and maybe it runs in the family and her brother will be tall too) try a xr or crf70. It has the same motor, just in a bigger frame. Our 7 year old daughter (who's actually on the short side) moved up to a 70 this year and it fits her much better. I think that your granddaughter would grow out of a 50 in a hurry. The one downsize of the bigger bike is the weight. If you can, take her to a shop and see how she fits, and how she can manage the bike's weight. Good luck! :thumbsup:

My now 9 yo started on the PW80. She was too tall for the 50 so the 80 was an easy choice. She has always been on the tall side. She is now ready to step up to her TTR125, but it's the small wheel version.

So if you are interested, her '04 PW 80 will need a new rider! :thumbsup:

*edit*

Here's a link to a post with pics and vids of her on the PW80.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336179

I agree that the PW80 is a great bike. Mellow, easy riding and my eight year old girl can start it herself no problems. (She's very proud of that) Mine has taken quite a bit of abuse, and is still going strong. It was her older brothers before hers and will be her younger brothers after she moves up.

She is about ready to progress on to her brothers KX65.

She wants to race sooo bad, but we don't have any organized races anywhere within 100 miles :thumbsup:

Does anyone in CA know if the PW's are red stickered?

Just noticed they are 2 stroke but Yamaha seems to have estart on the TTR-50 / 90 which are 4st.

EDIT - while estart seems really really silly, just thought the info would be of use. I have 3 kids very close in age - 2 years. Just pushing all 3 of them on the swing set at the same time took coordination when they were little. And of course they each brought a friend whenever we went somewhere so usually 6 kids at a time...

dear god, they put estart on bikes that small? whatever for? why are you all so afraid of kicking?

I know it's because they are so uncoordinated they fall over trying to kick the bikes over. Keep in mind kids are always growing, therefore their center of gravity keeps moving. It's hard enough to walk sometimes much less say trying to kick over a dirtbike (when first learning).

My daughter used to get so frustrated becaus she couldn't kick it over. But finally she got it. The objective is to get them riding....instead of getting frustrated and giving up. They pick up the kick starting on their own anyway, just to be like the grown ups.

kick starting has never really been a problem with 'my' kids

after a little while they get the hang of harley-kicking if they are tall enough

once they are past the I-can't-do-this and the I-hate-you-for-this phases they are proud to kick their bike

if your grand daughter is tall enough to reach the ground with both feet, no need to flatfoot

you can start her on a clutch bike, XR80 is pretty small

CRF50 seems to be on the smallish side, CRF70 if the XR80 is too tall

sorry don't know about other colors

if you decide on a clutch bike, make sure to be by her left side, with your left hand on the edge of her handlebar, ready to pull the clutch to prevent the bike from running away; until your little girl knows her 'friction zone'