Sign in to follow this  

New 05 or 07?....what would you do....

Ok, I have pretty much decided on getting a 450 and I can probably get an 07 for about 6200 versus a new 05 for 5500.......how much REAL difference is there in the bikes? Are the 05's reliable and do they handle well? Should I just not worry about 7 or 8 hundred bucks, hehe....... :thumbsup:

I am basically a recreational track rider....41....no racing in my future. I rode an 06 and thought it was a pretty amazing machine!! Just curious about the 05's and if there is anything to be cautious of, etc.

I look to all you experienced 450 guys for some valuable input!

Thanks!

I am not an experienced 450 guy, but I had been planning on selling my CR250R and buying an 07 450 if they had FI. They didn't so I bought a nearly new 05 for 3700 from a friend and will now wait until 08 or 09 to see how they look.

Get the 05' imo but shoot for a lower price....5K for a new 05' is absolutely as high as you should go. I just bought one for $4525 and haven't even picked it up yet!! Bought on an ebay no reserve auction btw. Can't wait!!

Most guys say you can't feel the difference between the 2 bikes unless you're a pro. And even then, the enhancements are minimal. They didn't really do much to change the bikes from '05 to '08. A few little things just to be able to say they are next year's model. I'd buy an '05 and wait for the 2nd year EFI bikes to come out.

Good info. and points well taken.....keep it coming, hehe :thumbsup:

Get the 05 and spend the extra cash on upgrades that you are going to want like chain, spockets, front tire, taller seat, high bars or suspension. You will love it stock, but you will want it fit you.

Ok, I have pretty much decided on getting a 450 and I can probably get an 07 for about 6200 versus a new 05 for 5500.......how much REAL difference is there in the bikes? Are the 05's reliable and do they handle well? Should I just not worry about 7 or 8 hundred bucks, hehe....... :thumbsup:

Thanks!

If you could get the 05 for less, I'd consider it, but at those prices, the 07 is a much better deal for the increased resale value alone, and they did make a number of nice (albeit small) improvements over those two years.

If you could get the 05 for less, I'd consider it, but at those prices, the 07 is a much better deal for the increased resale value alone, and they did make a number of nice (albeit small) improvements over those two years.

I agree w/MATTE. If you can get the '05 for high $4K's then go for it. (FYI Shenandohah Honda in VA is selling leftover '06's in the $5500 range) If not,

go with the '07. The resale opportunity alone will make it a better buy.

I paid $6200 OTD for my '06 and sold it w/10 hours on it for $5850 a month ago. If it was an '05 I would have been lucky to get $4500!

One, possibly significant, change that was made on the 06 was better valve seat material. The lowering of the radiators and tilting of the engine is not significant IMO.

I paid 5600 otd for my new 06 a few months ago. 5500 for an 05 is 500 too much (again IMO).

You are gonna love the bike!

One, possibly significant, change that was made on the 06 was better valve seat material. The lowering of the radiators and tilting of the engine is not significant IMO.

I paid 5600 otd for my new 06 a few months ago. 5500 for an 05 is 500 too much (again IMO).

You are gonna love the bike!

Cool guys thanks! Unless I can get the 05 for less I am going to do the 06 or 07 than......

I would get the 07. I have booth an 05 and an 06. I love the way the 06 handles compared the the 05. I am saving to get an 07 when I sell the 05. :thumbsup:

I just picked up an 07 last weekend.

I rode my 05 all day on Sunday and then rode the 07 on Monday. First thing I noticed was the midrange hit on the 07.... was kinda surprising. Also noticed the front brake is very good. Also the stock front forks seem less harsh on the 07. The 05 has junk on the front in stock form, IMHO.

My 05 is really dialed in after 2 years, so it flys. It will take a little work to get the 07 as comfortable for me (6'2 - 192lbs), but I'm sure it will be faster once I get it done. At first impressions.... I'd say go for the 07, for resale alone.... and you will never have any last regrets about buying a dated bike.

If you plan on keeping the bike for a few years, get an 07, if you buy a 05, in a few months you will have a "2 year old bike" so to speak.. Back in feb i paid 6800 for my 06 FWIW..

Oh Yeah, congrats on the soon to be new bike purchase, your never to old too have fun (im 38) and post some new bike pics :thumbsup:

Get the 07 just for resale reasons.In 6 months it will be harder to sell the 05 compared to 07,or whenever you want to sell.