Sign in to follow this  

Dent Removal...Does It Work???

I know that there are posts of how to remove dents in two stroke pipes. I'm going to try the freezer method, but i'm really scared of cracking the pipe!!! So how many of you guys here have had it actually work and not work?

Thanks in advance

Don't use the freeze method, it cracks pipes. I made an air jig for mine to put 15-20 lbs of air in it and I use a mapp torch to heat the dent, they usually slowly come out just fine.

The air setup I have for mine clamps onto the pipe in a way that it cannot come off, IE goes to the smaller diameter of the pipe so it has a positive clamp hold on the pipe.

I will try to get some pictures and post them..or at least make a sketch in paint.

Don't use the freeze method, it cracks pipes. I made an air jig for mine to put 15-20 lbs of air in it and I use a mapp torch to heat the dent, they usually slowly come out just fine.

The air setup I have for mine clamps onto the pipe in a way that it cannot come off, IE goes to the smaller diameter of the pipe so it has a positive clamp hold on the pipe.

I will try to get some pictures and post them..or at least make a sketch in paint.

I was thinking about the heat method...but i dont have a torch, anything to plug the pipe with (what did you use?), and It seems a little dangerous, but if that's the better way, i guess ill try to find the materials and give it a shot. And that would be great if you could get pics or sketch it!

Thanks

I have used the freezer methods many times, but it depends on where the dent is as to how good it will work or not. You have to check it 2 times a day to make sure you don't let it go too far to cause a crack or seam split. If it is the usual non-creased dent in the "fat" part of the pipe, the freezer method will work pretty good, just have to keep an eye on it and don't fill the pipe completely full of water so there is some room for expansion.

Another way is to drill a hole in the middle of the dent and insert a puller tool to work the dent out then patch the whole with a tig weld........

Freeze method did nothing for my pipe...total waste of time.

If you can, just take it to a dealer that can do it for you. They've most likely done it before, and will do a better job. It doesn't cost that much for what you get!

You can get a MAPP torch and some pipe plugs at home depot. The torch is just like a small propane torch but MAPP burns much hotter. Propane doesn't burn hot enough for this method. I think MAPP gas comes in the yellow cannister.

I use reinforced hose with a pipe bushing in one end, hose clamped and then hose clamped before the plug to positively hold it into the pipe. Inside the small threads of the pipe bushing I have an air fitting. This tube slips over the small end of the pipe and gets hose clamped on.

On the large end I use an expanding rubber plug (the kind with the wing nut in the middle) and some steel strapping that goes over the smaller diameter of the large side and gets hose clamped on. I heat the dent to cherry red and carefuly start adding air in small amounts untill the dent starts to move slowly. Once I get to 20psi if the dent hasn't moved I stop trying.

Ok...I think I'll do the heating method since that's what most of you guys think is best. And you what are pipe plugs? I'll look for that MAPP torch too...(does anyone know the price on one?)

Thanks for all your help guys

an automotive dent puller (slide hammer) works pretty good. I have cut peices of brazing rod about two inches long and stuck them to the dent then popped the dent out with a slide hammer. The hardest thing was keeping the pipe from moving while pulling the dent out. if you clamp it down to something you can crush the pipe.

I had good luck with the freeze method. fill just the section where the dent is and do not plug it. It took two times, but pushed it out nicely.