Sign in to follow this  

quick question.....need an answer

alright, I'll admitt, I didnt search for this one....but, anyone ever have problems getting the screws on the bike to come out? I tried to take of the chain guard, but I'm about to strip the screws out. I am using the correct scredriver, but it's like the screws are glued in or something. They wont budge at all. I've tried WD40, MMO, and PB blaster to help break them, but no luck. Why couldnt they have used a bolt?

See if you can get a pair of vice grips on the edge of them. Also, no toolbox is complete without an Impact Driver.

10290%20IMPACT%20DRIVER%20KIT.jpg

Dangit 10guy... I would have beat you had I not went looking for a pic of an impact driver.

If you totally screw up the head then you can use a dremel to cut a groove to fit a big slotted screwdriver in......and then use the impact :thumbsup:

Yes, they can be a pain. You need to get an impact driver. When you hit the impact driver, it twists the screws during the impact. Might be the only way you'll get them out without messing it up. Good Luck.

WOW, talk about fast answers!!

Dangit 10guy... I would have beat you had I not went looking for a pic of an impact driver.

:thumbsup::ride::cry:

Be careful with the impact driver - one of the chain guard screws fastens to an aluminum tab that is welded (badly) to the swing arm. If you whack the driver with a hammer to get the screw loose, you can bend the tab. If you bend it too far, the weld will break when you try and bend it back.

I use a 12V electric impact screwdriver (DeWalt, Makita, Toshiba, and Panasonic make them, look at Lowes or Home Depot). The driver isn't cheap, but it has a million uses in the shop. Works great on carb screws as well.

I layed my bike over on the right side so I could hold the screwdriver in the screw tightly. Also the correct size screwdriver helps.

I used an impact driver on mine, broke the tab off in one hit. Not to big a deal as I was just taking the guard off anyway, but now if I ever want to put it back on, I have to re-weld that little tab.

I bet you used too small of a phillips driver. You need the big one that fits real snug. I have never had a problem when using the correct tool.

Impact drivers are what you use after the correct tool has failed...for whatever reason.

If you totally screw up the head then you can use a dremel to cut a groove to fit a big slotted screwdriver in......and then use the impact :thumbsup:

:ride: +1

Step 1: Squirt on some Liquid Wrench super lubricant.

Step 2: Go drink a beer.

Step 3: Impact driver, small hammer, firm whacks. Be sure and "pre-torque" the impact driver counter-clockwise before you hit it to take the slack out of the ratchet, and seat the driver firmly in the screw head.

Step 4: Finish fixing whatever you're working on.

Step 5: RIDE!!!

Also, no toolbox is complete without an Impact Driver.

Yeah...I bought mine when I was in High School for $6...I still have the thing 28 years later (it's the driver with 4 bits and comes in the small blue metal hinged case...They still sell the same one today)...

You must be trying to put on your ZETA...I got mine installed today on lunch break..

no, not installing anything, just want that dumb lookg chain guard off. I assure ya'll, I am using the correct size screwdriver. I'll mess with it in the AM when I put my DRC tail on. I may do the dremel trick b/c i have a giant flat blade that will probaly work, or I'll cut the head off and just have a litte screw left in the tab.

luckily those were 2 screws that came out OK. wait until you try the float bowl screws or the ones holding that stupid looking tail light on. A impact driver would help tons.

in the absence of an impact driver, take up the slack of the fit of the screw driver in the head of the screw, hold down as tightly as you can and hit the head of the screw driver with a hammer several times. It performs the same as an impact driver. Use an old screw driver, it tends to be hard on tips and handles. The force that is holding the screw into place is corrosion caused by electrolytic action between the 2 types of metal. Use anti-seize to prevent this.

Not quite the same as the truely twisting force applied by an impact driver but in many instances will help.

I assure ya'll, I am using the correct size screwdriver.

FWIW. I recently took my guard off too (then put it back on). Not only did I need the correct bit size (which I'm sure you used) but I also had to grab the screwdriver with the biggest handle and longest shank that I could find (couldn't do it with the medium-sized one that I first tried--even though it had correct bit size). Then steady pressure was all it took.

Course when I used the same method to take the allen screws off my muffler endcap I didn't have such luck--one screw snapped in two. Not worried though, two out of three remaining ain't bad. :thumbsup: