Sign in to follow this  

Increasing flywheel weight on a TC250

I am thinking about increasing the flywheel weight on my 05 TC250 for some simulated torque and decreased stalling,better climbing etc.... Any advice on the best way to do this? Different ways?

Thanks in advance

I am thinking about increasing the flywheel weight on my 05 TC250 for some simulated torque and decreased stalling,better climbing etc.... Any advice on the best way to do this? Different ways?

Thanks in advance

TE Stator and Flywheel

Tasky's metric cycle in Everett Wa. did my 04 TC450 with a 9oz weight ring welded on to the OEM flywheel. It changed the bike into a more user friendly for off-road machine. They do real nice work with good turn around time. See my 04 in my garage and on my avatar.

Thanks Bob and Robert,

Robert, does the added nine oz. weight bring up the total to more than the stock TE flywheel? I am wondering if a heavier than stock TE flywheel is a little better or heavy enough?

I made one for my 05. It helped with very low rpm hiccup and stalling. Jet kit may have done same thing. I don't know as I have not installed one. The flywheel did not have as much noticeable difference as with my 02 yz250f. you have to make it for the backside of the flywheel and distancve between flywheel and lower portion of rear cam chain slider must be considered.

Well here's an update on the flywheel project. Tasky's had only done a TC450 and not a TC250. They said that a TE250 flywheel would not fit because of a few reasons and that adding a weight would not work because of no room in the cover, I guess it's really close. So I called George at Uptite Racing and he had a two oz. heavier flywheel in stock but felt that I would probably want around six oz.'s of increase. Now he is checking on making one for me. Hopefully soon I really want to try and dial this little bike in for tough trail use. It's flickable but has no chug.

Well here's an update on the flywheel project. Tasky's had only done a TC450 and not a TC250. They said that a TE250 flywheel would not fit because of a few reasons and that adding a weight would not work because of no room in the cover, I guess it's really close. So I called George at Uptite Racing and he had a two oz. heavier flywheel in stock but felt that I would probably want around six oz.'s of increase. Now he is checking on making one for me. Hopefully soon I really want to try and dial this little bike in for tough trail use. It's flickable but has no chug.

Not sure who tols you the TE Flywheel "won't fit"?

Possibly someone that makes a living adding weights to TC Flywheels?

The TE setup (Flywheel, Coil-Stator and Cover) all are a diredt Bolt on but you need ALL the parts because the Cover is bigger on the TE.

It is more expensive than a Weight but the cost is offset by having a Spare setup complete (for Racers) or a bunch of parts for E-Bay.

Case Closed.

Not sure who tols you the TE Flywheel "won't fit"?

Possibly someone that makes a living adding weights to TC Flywheels?

The TE setup (Flywheel, Coil-Stator and Cover) all are a direct Bolt on but you need ALL the parts because the Cover is bigger on the TE.

I am not guessing on this one, Jen's #2 Bike is a TC with TE Electrics.

It is more expensive than a Weight but the cost is offset by having a Spare setup complete (for Racers) or a bunch of parts for E-Bay.

Case Closed.

OK Cowboy Bob how much weight difference is there between the stock TC250 flywheel and the stock TE250 flywheel?

Thanx

OK Cowboy Bob how much weight difference is there between the stock TC250 flywheel and the stock TE250 flywheel?

Thanx

Not sure.

I do not have much time on the TC 250 but Jen has time on both Bikes.

Oddly enough she seems to like the TC better. As far as in the technical sections I thought the TE Gearing and Flywheel would help Her out but she likes the TC better. Top Speed-Long distance stuff we have yet to run the TE.

Point being, if you re-jet the TC it will likely be fine without the flywheel weight. Probably just need to "attack" stuff harder?????

The bike is so far jetted fine. All my 05 Husky's have been great on the jetting stock. It is not hard to restart when it stalls. I feel the bike would be awesome with a heavier flywheel. On the trails I have been riding lately you do not want to spin the wheel and tear up the trail. It is more like trials riding on a trail bike. I know those trials bikes have huge flywheels. I know my Te450 is a chugger. You can go through some challenging terrain and not spin the rear tire and if you get stopped the bike restarts with very little spinning. Here I think it's not really about just attacking more and spinning big holes in the trail. Smoother is better with this riding for me IMO.

I want to give the 250 some chug and I really just wanted a heavier flywheel and maybe heavier than a stock TE 250 flywheel. The TC250 has good power and instant power response. It will spin a bigger flywheel great I am guessing.

For me this is a project bike. Kind of like pimp my trail bike or something while I try to improve my understanding of it all. The next episode is the flywheel one. Mr. George Earl at Uptite racing is trying to help me out with the flywheel. It would be handy to know the weights of the stock flywheels and we will be finding that one way or another. If someone has a heavier flywheel that would be great to know.

I would also like to know how heavy the TE250 and TC250 flywheel weights are.

Any ideas where to get that info?

I'm guessing the TE450 or TE510 flywheel will not work on the 250 crank? If it would it might be the simplest solution to getting more than stock TE250 weight?

BTW, i have ridden with Baja me, he speaks the truth about needing more weight for the type of extremely tight goat trails / switchbacks he is talking about. I'm guessing a lot of you guys may never see stuff this technical. Reving it up and fanning the clutch are NOT the solution here. A lot of this stuff is switchbacks with tire wide trail, if you miss you might not ever get to see your bike again. Seriously. Even when i take advanced guys up there for the first time I stop and warn them on the stuff coming up.

K

Well, lets keep thing in perspective:

Jen weighs a WHOLE bunch less than any of us......................

As far as the Jetting, being off 10 numbers on the rich side on the Pilot is not what I would call close! There are 2 different people that recommended the same Jetting numbers for the 250 and BOTH of them know what they are talking about.

I would suggest that if you are "Happy" with the Jetting, Re-Jet down on the Pilot and Main. I have a feeling you don't know what you are missing.

(I did'nt!)

As far as the 450-510 Flywheel, it really depends on if it's "0" Balanced or EXternally balanced to match the Bobweight on the Crank.