Can anyone tell me what bike this is?

I was just on a trip to Japan and I saw this bike parked on the sidewalk over there. Anyone have any idea what it is?

It is a Yamaha, but that's all I could discern, there were no other marks on it that I could find.

It's kinda weird, but so many of the bikes you see over there have these huge knobby tires.

Thanks!

J

199695356_e99cb35d84_o.jpg

199695407_5d90986ed2_o.jpg

Ah, I gotcha.

Yeah, I was curious as to what was with all the old bike and scooters. There was a small shop that had 3-4 Vespa's from the 60's.

It was most definitely an eclectic scene when it came to conveyance.

If you go up towards akehibara, there is a whole district that has about 20 little bike shops where these bikes are made. They take a stock 125-250 dual sport type bike and hack the frame. Strip it down of everything non-essential like the air box etc., stick on a filter and ride it. You can find them made from 2-3 different bikes. I have a ton of pics I took from over there as I go for work a couple of times a year.

KUQNM-bike4.jpg

GUING-bike8.jpg

MFRNW-bike9.jpg

LHNBH-bike10.jpg

firebolter:

Yeah, I saw that guy in Aobadai, which isn't far from Akihabara. They are odd, but I think they're kinda cool in a Mad-Max post-apocalyptic way.

I noticed the cool shops over there, and man, do Japanese people love cars, bikes, trucks, anything with a motor. I dunno how many people I met told me their hobby was "driving" but especially in the big cities there, I guess it is something of a novelty for many people.

• 4 weeks later...
was just on a trip to Japan and I saw this bike parked on the sidewalk over there. Anyone have any idea what it is?

It is a Yamaha, but that's all I could discern, there were no other marks on it that I could find.

It's kinda weird, but so many of the bikes you see over there have these huge knobby tires.

Thanks!

The TW is one of the most popular bikes in Japan, they sell them in huge numbers.

They promptly get stripped down to naked bikes (probably because there are so many, and who want's to look like the next guy).

That one you posted has an extended swingarm, modified seat, and way-cool sissy bar.

but without a rear fender it must get interesting when encountering water.