Sign in to follow this  

X muffler is an anvil

I have always heard that the stock muffler is pretty heavy. My friend (250x owner) recently swapped his out for a fmf power core at which time I got the oppurtunity to hold the stock in one hand and the fmf in the other. Needless to say I am now planning on purchasing an aftermarket system.

My question is this: which is the lightest aftermarket system available? My criteria for choosing in order of importance is as follows.

1) weight

2) performance / quiet

3) cost

I've recently scrapped my stock silencer in favor of a 450R silencer. At one point I weighed both of them, but have forgotten exactly what the difference is. I believe the R silencer is roughly 1 pound and a handfull of ounces lighter than the X silencer.

The performance gain is definately noticeable - snappier throttle response and more pull throughout the entire RMP Range. Personally, I needed to re-educate myself on throttle control after installing the R silencer.

As far as noise is concerned, it's definately louder than the stock silencer with the baffle out. It's not so bad at low RPM's when you're lugging through the woods, but when you really whack the throttle it is as loud as the 450R.

Oh, I almost forgot, it cost be 72 bucks from a fellow TT'er, used, but in great condition.

I have always heard that the stock muffler is pretty heavy. My friend (250x owner) recently swapped his out for a fmf power core at which time I got the oppurtunity to hold the stock in one hand and the fmf in the other. Needless to say I am now planning on purchasing an aftermarket system.

My question is this: which is the lightest aftermarket system available? My criteria for choosing in order of importance is as follows.

1) weight

2) performance / quiet

3) cost

DR D Full Stainless rocks for unrivaled torque and throttle response.

DR D Full Stainless rocks for unrivaled torque and throttle response.

And how about noise level?

i got the fmf Ti powercore muffler. really light and sounds nice, sort of a raspy racey tone, only problem is i had to have the mount customized to fit my x. the slot for the top bolt was too short by about 1/4 inch.