Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycle trailer -- WA (plates or no plates???)

Got my hands on a small trailer from a friend in OR which is not plated. He informed me that no plates are needed for such a small trailer in OR. However, I am almost sure all trialers need plates here in WA eventhough Ive seen several without plates.

Assuming that i need to plate it for use in WA how hard is the inspection process. What are the do's and donts when dealing with WSP inspectors?

Its just a small motorcycle trailer with a metal box attached to it.

Any info appriciated.

Got a title? Get a plate and avoid the uneducated LEO hassles. I believe your friend is correct and the trailer doesn't need lights if the tow rigs lights are not covered by the trailer. But again is it worth getting ticketed by the cops and having to fight it in court?

in my post i believe i said i am going to assume that plates are needed. it has all the lights.

i guess i was not clear -- my question is. What is the plating process like -- any do's and donts for dealing with the WSP during the inspection process or is it pretty straight forward?

I wish I could help you but I am pretty ignorant about trailers. I have noticed at my local Dept of Licensing that they have a lot of literature available for free. Maybe they have something covering your questions. But the easiest thing you could do is call the WA. state patrol inspection dept. and explain your situation in detail and ask them what they want you to do before you bring it in for inspection. That way you will only have to go down once to get it inspected.

I've called and called and called add nausium. I may just drive over there and speak directly with them because no one answers the phone. I've left messages but no reply.

I am sure someone here has been through this.

thanks for the suggestions.

I was just at DOL yesterday and ask about this very subject. Oregon does not require title or registration for small trailer, Washington does. If the trailer does not have a title and a VIN then you must have WSP assign you a VIN, then the trailer must be scaled. You then go to your friendly DOL office and they will get you a plate and registration. The fee for just the VIN is $50, plus the title and registration fees.

On a different but related subject, if you do the right thing and title you dirt bike in Wa. you need to take the serial number off of you engine with you. I don't know when this started as I have titled two other bike and did not need this info. And just because a bike has a plate in Oregon does not mean that you can plated in Washington, this depends on the data in the Wa computer and what your VIN tells them.

On a different but related subject, if you do the right thing and title you dirt bike in Wa. you need to take the serial number off of you engine with you. I don't know when this started as I have titled two other bike and did not need this info. And just because a bike has a plate in Oregon does not mean that you can plated in Washington, this depends on the data in the Wa computer and what your VIN tells them.

That must be just for dirt bikes -- just plated a Ducati from CA and went in with the title and walked out 10 min later with the plate and the title to be mailed later. The only question was with the amount of tax which when i supplied a appraisal she asked no more questions. they must have some sort of database because the woman who helped me thought Ducati was a racing car -- even after she examined the title. Anyway, point is she would not have known the diff between your R100S my Ducati and a 250cc dirt bike -- even if the bikes were sitting right in her face..

I live in WA just across the border from OR. I have this friend see........... and a friend of mine from Oregon gave me.... or I mean him a bike trailer 5 years ago and if he ever gets stopped he plans on telling the officer "I'm just borrowing this trailer for a few days from a friend". His friend will vouch for me......or I mean him. Haven't had issues yet.

I got my current trailer from a buddy in Oregon. I never titled, plated transfered, etc. I have never been stopped. However, everything is always in good working order. I am selling the trailer so I never will. You will havea hassle getting a trailer from ORegon titled in WA if it has no VIN, title, etc. Best bet, have a buddy in Oregon and say it belongs to your buddy:)

Joe............

You will need a plate. You will need to get it inspected by the WSP if it doesnt have a title. If its titled, no sweat, no inspections. If it has no title, bill of sale and they will get you a title, but will take 3 years, but you can tag it in the meantime and use it. And on another note, you may request the small sized plates now for the trailer (same as motorcycles in size) and it really reduces the risk of bending or breaking the larger plates. About time they did that! If its inspected, they will check the tounge, tires and lights. The tounge is check for cracks, looseness etc. If you buddy never titled one of those kit trailers, you will need toe MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) and a bill of sale for the trailer kit, and that will get you a title. In fact, it will be the model year you titled it, not the year you bought it.

I was given a great trailer in 2002 from a couple of GREAT :thumbsup: guys in Oregon that were moving to San Diego. Thankfully the trailer was free because it was a pain. You really need to go straight to the DOL and they will give you a pamphlet and a lot of paperwork that goes through the process. You will need to get it weighed at an official scale too, just as listed above.

Three things I found out the hard way:

1. WA requires super heavy duty safety chains and an overbuilt mounting system, even if you have a lightweight trailer.

2. All trailers need lights too, I got nailed on the license plate light of all things.

3. If the trailer is homemade, you will have to determine the year it was built, the builder, the materials used and their cost, and other crap.

Good Luck :ride: