Sign in to follow this  

KDX 200 no more?

Is the KDX 200 now out of production? Noticed on Kawi website that the only off-road bikes are the 110 and the 300.

Is the KDX 200 now out of production? Noticed on Kawi website that the only off-road bikes are the 110 and the 300.

Rumors have been circulating for a few years now that Kawasaki is developing more race bred "KDXF's" for more of a competition based chassis stemming from the current KXF MX bikes.

Translation: The KDX's were too reliable and the manufacturers have learned that they can produce time-bomb thumpers and people will buy them and like it, especially when they have to spend $3000 rebuilding it within the first year. :ride:

Buh-bye KDX. :ride:

Another bike I saw come and go. :ride:

Say hello to the XR's for me when you get to that big Land of the Unloved Bikes in the sky. :thumbsup:

:cry:

Is the KDX 200 now out of production? .

This is one of the reasons why I just ordered a KDX-200 from TT.

Translation: The KDX's were too reliable and the manufacturers have learned that they can produce time-bomb thumpers and people will buy them and like it, especially when they have to spend $3000 rebuilding it within the first year. :thumbsup:

QUOTE]

Bingo... My '97 KDX220R is far cheaper & easier to maintain, and just as much fun as my '04 CRF250X. As soon as the Honda gets back from getting it's $2000 engine rebuild, it's up for sale and we'll get another KDX, or possibly a KTM 2 stroke.

Bingo... My '97 KDX220R is far cheaper & easier to maintain, and just as much fun as my '04 CRF250X. As soon as the Honda gets back from getting it's $2000 engine rebuild, it's up for sale and we'll get another KDX, or possibly a KTM 2 stroke.

I love my KDX but ti does have some problems once and a while but other than that, it's a tank. The KTM's are great too. I'm gonna miss the KDX

If you can't rebuild your own offroad bike, 2 or 4-stroke, then you need to sell all your bikes and take up golfing !! ............$ 2000.00 for a rebuild is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!

The generall dirt bike rider/racer is quicky realizing that 4 strokes while superior in rideability, are a high risk owning for extended periods. Especially used, and where the previous owner rarely changed the oil. The major issue is the hefty added expenses of rebuilding the engine valve train. I had to completely rebuild my buddies YZ250F to the tune of $1550 JUST IN PARTS, not counting the 15 hours of time I invested into the rebuild. Multiply 16 hours X $70/hr (what most dealerships charge for labor), and you begin to get the idea of costs of blown 4 stroke engines. I had a WR250F, and after a lot of thought on my next bike, I opted to return to a 2 stroke. If you blow a 2 stroke engine it's about half the cost of rebuilding a 4 stroke.

The generall dirt bike rider/racer is quicky realizing that 4 strokes while superior in rideability, are a high risk owning for extended periods. Especially used, and where the previous owner rarely changed the oil. The major issue is the hefty added expenses of rebuilding the engine valve train. I had to completely rebuild my buddies YZ250F to the tune of $1550 JUST IN PARTS, not counting the 15 hours of time I invested into the rebuild. Multiply 16 hours X $70/hr (what most dealerships charge for labor), and you begin to get the idea of costs of blown 4 stroke engines. I had a WR250F, and after a lot of thought on my next bike, I opted to return to a 2 stroke. If you blow a 2 stroke engine it's about half the cost of rebuilding a 4 stroke.

Actually, I think most people will find it's less than half. And it's been my experience that it becomes even more favorable over the long haul.

Another nice thing is that you very seldom see a 2-stroke grenade like you do with a lot of these 250F's. You may get rod or a bearing knocking if you've let things go too far but I've rarely seen them explode. However, I have seen more of the new thumpers absolutely waste themselves than I can count.

It's a shame, too. I've got two 450F's and one 250F (CRFX). They're fun bikes but I know the day is going to come when they rape my wallet.

Maybe that's why I can relax more when I ride my YZ or CR! :thumbsup:

sorry for the delayed reaction, been out of town ever snce i posted this. i have to agree with you on this. everyone has to make a buck. its just a shame that they have to take such a good machine out of production, just so the big wigs can go purchase their brand new lamborghini, yacht, or whatever their fancy may be. thats ok though, i would much rather work on a used two smoker , than shell out the cash for one of the "time bombs" as someone put it. :-P

I'm thinking of selling my '03 CRF230 and buying an '06 KDX while I still can!

Bought a new 2003 KDX 200 in 2002. Added everything you could imagine to make it a woods bike. Cleaned the filter about every 3 rides and change the oil every month or so. Never any problems! not even a spark plug change....The ol KDX is bulletproof. Planning on buying a used 05 Wr 450 as a second bike..here come the problems....