Sign in to follow this  

Headaches

Hello Dr. Mark:

I have found that as I have gotten older (I'm 51 now), I experience headaches after strenuous physical activity such as a long mountain bike, or dirt bike rides. A long ride for me is approximatley 3 to 4 hours in the saddle.

I'm in decent shape but there is always room for improvement.

I have found that the only thing that helps the headaches is Imetrex (sp?), but I usually do not take anything unless the headache is really bad.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your response.

I have the same problem at times... Especially after a long day of riding... I found the cure for my headaches though;

SEND MY WIFE TO THE MALL UNTIL I GO TO SLEEP!!!! :thumbsup:

Describe your headache. I used to take 'trex injectable for episodic cluster headaches. Be careful of that stuff.

Do you smoke?

Dehydration is a possible cause but when you mentioned mountain biking I immediately thought of cervicogenic (coming from your neck) headaches. When you are bent forward on your bike you have to look up to see where you are going. While sitting at your computer look up at the ceiling for 4 hr and see if you get a headache. Yes this is ridiculous but it is literally what you are doing when you ride a mountain bike for 4 hr. One thing you can try is getting a new pair of glasses. Most of the stylin' glasses are small and look really good on the models in magazines. The problem is when you are on your bike, you have to tip your head up even further to see underneath the rim of the glasses (remember looking at the ceiling). You need to look for a pair of glasses where you can't see the upper rim while wearing them. These are surprisingly hard to find, I just bought a pair of Smiths that fit the bill but I'm away from home right now and can't give you the model name. When I get home I'll send you the name of them. When trying on glasses for mtn biking forget the mirror, try them on and make sure you can't see the upper rim. Also watch your posture, tuck your chin in and make sure you aren't tipping your head back.

Good Luck

D

Those Smiths are called "Reactor Max" They have a high upper rim so you will be less likely to tip your head back.

Derek00:

Thanks for the info on the glasses. I'll give them a try.

What you're saying about tilting my head back while riding, makes sense. Never really thought about it before. Maybe if I switch to a set of handlebars with a little more rise, it will help.

Thanks again.

I would go with dehydration, but a helmet that is too tight could do it to.

Its is important to drink a liter an hour when on an enduro.

If you wait until you feel thirsty, then you are all ready dehydrated.