Sign in to follow this  

400Drz s Vs KLR 650

I have a 2002 Drz s My buddie just got a Klr 650 because he thought that he could bust my little bike a new one. Both bikes are stock the Drz is much more responsive and the klr just couldn't hang with the drz. Keep in mind that this was mostly at speeds under 70 miles an hour. I finally rode the klr it was really flat and sluggish in comparison. Yes the klr was running fine. he couldn't believe that my smaller "toy" could run that way. I'm adding a Dynojet kit as soon as it comes in. I cant imagine it running any better, but I guess I will find out!

I have a co-worker who just bought a KLR. I guess I'm going to have to take him up on his offers to go for a ride. :ride::thumbsup:

I did the DJ and billet power tip today and it seems to run a little better. It was easy. I may have some fine tuning to do. 130 main/ 22.5 pilot / 3rd clip / extended fuel screw. 5,300 feet.

BTW: I had a stock needle and jet upgrade and 3X3 before. 150 main / 25 pilot / extended fuel screw.

I rather shocked one of my canadian freinds as well. Of course, he did ride his KLR there (about 300 miles) and I trailered mine (about 400 miles). So, I couldn't make too much fun of him.

I did however try to wheelie his KLR. It was all I could do to get the front end up in first gear. I was SOOOO glad I didn't buy one. [i almost did]

My friend has a KLR. He took my DRZ just around the block. When he returned, he got off, looked at my bike, then the KLR and just sighed.

I've owned both and the klr really did eat up the highway miles. But man is the DRZ fun once you get there and get the luggage off of it :thumbsup:

Two very different beasts, I happen to have both, well at least that is what the tengai is based off of.

I have one for roads and one for trails,,,,guess which is which?

I was right there man, couldn't decide. A wise Sales manager (is there such a thing?) at a dealership pointed me to the DRz.

SWEETNESS.

I met a guy who's brother had a KLR. He was all..why do you want that thing? (DRZ)

I layed it all out for him. Better handling, less weight, TONS of Mods available, Less money, Newer technology, same or better power, BLUE not green, He said OK.

Then he rode it. My S was bone stock.

He got off with a smile on his face and said "I'm getting one of THESE!"

Then he said "get some knobbies". I should have listened.

my buddy (and his stock KLR) and I just returned from a backroad trip w/ over 400km in the bush. Mine is a slightly modifyied SM w/ RS3 3x3 etc.... He had the slightest (read: SLIGHTEST) of advantage accel and top speed on a 5mph+ launch (which he was the starter gun for), he was also able to carry everything on his rack (whereas my stuff was on my back) and looked comfy on that seat, but in every other dept. my bike was crowned king :thumbsup:

I've done a few 1000 mile days on the tengai, no way would I ever try it on my klx. 600 mile days on the tengai are normal, easy days but on the klx it would be my max I'd think. Maybe not if I were to set it up for road use only then maybe the difference would be less.

My dad had a KLR650, I rode it a couple of times. It was nice on the highway, but getting into trails and around locked gates was a hassle. What do they wiegh? 650lbs?

I bought my DRZ back in June and my Dad and I went for an 150k ride. He couldn't believe how light and agile the DRZ was.... and the power.

IIRC, the KLR is about 85 lbs heavier than the DRZ S. It feels like more. That's dry but then if you tank up it can be very heavy.

I once had my KLR in the air with full tank & it rotated due to being top heavy. Not the bike's fault, but mine for tanking up, but still I ended up with a bike on me instead of the way it should be.

I agree that the KLR is a good long hauler. I did many 500 mile days on mine (stock). It's also a great dirt roader, but a bit much for me in rocks or mud where the DRZ is easier for me (a terrible and timid dirt rider). Also the DRZ is a great urban warrior much better than the KLR.

If I had to choose only one bike, I'd be the KLR, but since I also own a KTM 950 SM, & a DL1000, the DRZ makes great sense for me.

What do they wiegh? 650lbs?

340 Lbs dry. "only" 45-50 Lbs more than the DRZ

IIRC, the real weight is closer to 380. If you use the 340 method, then you need to use the same on the DRZ making it weigh only 280.

IIRC, the real weight is closer to 380. If you use the 340 method, then you need to use the same on the DRZ making it weigh only 280.

Please explain this, I'm curious. Thanks.

Two very different beasts, I happen to have both, well at least that is what the tengai is based off of.

I have one for roads and one for trails,,,,guess which is which?

Just got my Klr still need to mount some new tires I should be riding this weekend. It is the perfect combo for my low budget, Drz 400 and Klr 650

I am happey :thumbsup::ride:

Please explain this, I'm curious. Thanks.

dry weight negates fuel, oil, all other liquids and whatever you put on the bike

KLR 650 dry weight is listed at 330

Drz400s dry listed at 291

I'd like to know where the numbers of 380, 340, and 280 were coming from.

KLR 650 dry weight is listed at 330

Drz400s dry listed at 291

I'd like to know where the numbers of 380, 340, and 280 were coming from.

Out of thin air :thumbsup: