Sign in to follow this  

110 Footpegs again...

I've read the many threads here regarding the footpeg bolts stripping out of the engine cases. I wish my problem was so simple.

We were riding the other day and my son hit a rock with the very end of his right footpeg (I was 20' behind him and saw the whole thing). The entire footpeg mount bar completely tore out from the bottom of the engine cases - the mounting bolts were still snugly threaded into the bosses that were previously part of the engine cases. There's now several holes in the bottom of the cases. Longer/stronger bolts wouldn't have done a darn thing to prevent this. He only weighs 60 pounds, it wasn't that hard of a hit amd he wasn't going very fast either. This is a completely bogus design.

Does anyone know of a skid/glide plate that would prevent this sort of thing? All of the footpeg mounts I've found just seem like they are stronger cross bars with longer bolts - the exact same thing would have occured using any of them. Maybe something like the frame cradle BBR makes for the DRZ125.

I've got a fairly good idea on how to make my own but if it's already been done I'll just pay the $$'s and move on. Replacing the cases is going to take long enough.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

That's really odd.. what year is the bike? Another guy and I still have the stock footpegs on our 110's and we both weight 180! No problems with ours and I'm even jumping. We think maybe the '06 model has a better set- up, the mounts do look thick like the aftermarket designs. I would suggest checking with your dealer that you got it from, sounds like it was waiting to happen.

King 110,

That's exactly what I was going to fab (actually Grandpa's gonna do it for us - he's got more tools and patience than me). Thanks!

I don't know if it's been mentioned before on any of the threads but Kawi parts are about 30% less in cost than the Suzuki parts for the 110. When we were working on pushing this thing out of the woods I had a $400+ price tag in my mind. I just bought both engine case halves for $130 total out the door on the internet from cycleparts.com. I once paid double that for a stupid clutch cover for a Husky.....

Thanks for all the info guys.

Dan