Sign in to follow this  

Stored DR

My g.f.'s husband died in a bike crash a few years ago which led to events making her my g.f. She used to ride quite a bit with him on road bikes only.

Among the things he left behind is a DR 650. She kept the battery charged for a few months due to general principles, but she let it go flat lately.

I've suggested that she take up riding again and the DR a perfect bike because we two can use it for dirt roads which are plentiful around here. However, the bike has been sitting for over two years with no decomissioning. I'm going to dig into the bike to get it running again. Obviously I'm buying a new battery, doing an oil / filters / / carb clean etc.

Is there anything specific about this model bike that I should be wary for? I've been working on bikes all my life, but never on a DR 650 so am interested in things to watch for specific to this model - if there are any. This being a Japanese bike stowed in NM, I don't anticipate any real problems.

TIA

Should be no problem, Dry NM air has been your friend. You might want to think about fresh gas, otherwise it sounds like you have a handle on it. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Yep. Fresh gas and a full on cleaning of the carb is what I intended. Greatly looking forward to doing some riding with her.

BTW, the bike is a bit high for her comfort coming back to riding after a few years. Are there shortening kits for the DR on the market?

You don't say what year it is. There were issues with some late 97 and 98's I believe. Problem with the electric starter clutch grenading and doing big dollar damages. There is a fix for it.

Thanks Danger, Rusty. I didn't check to see the year, but some good news as far as the recommissioning. Her late husband did have the service manual so my job is now more sure than just pokiing around. I suspect this is a pretty easy bike to figure out, but I greatly prefer having a manual.

I'll take Trudy's temperature and if she likes the idea of riding this bike, I'll probably lower it some. She's about 5' 7" so she's easily able of handling it if she where slighly spooked by the height compared to her road only bikes which she used to ride.

Her late husband also had a 6 cylinder Benelli 900 which, being left out, is now in pretty bad shape. Too bad, that.