Sign in to follow this  

any old liteweight bikes ??

I'm looking for a 4-stroke offroad-trail bike. money is a issue :ride: that's why i want an older bike. i'm riding an old heavy pig of a bike now. is there anything from early 90's that weigh less than 240# and more than 200cc ?? I'm 37yo 5'10" and 180# and a complete rookie. any Ideas ?? Thank-you :thumbsup:

i'd like to keep it under 2,000. between 2-400cc. my 83 xt 550 weighs 320# :thumbsup: thats just killing me

Under 240 will be hard without going to a 2 stroke. It's not only the weight of the XT550, it's the crappy suspension. One of my friends rides a 97 KTM 620 RXC. It also weighs in at about 330 to 340. He absolutely flies on that bike. I can't keep up with him.

If you want a trail bike a KDX200 is hard to beat. Light, enough power, and quite reliable. If you must get a 4 stroke, you might take a look at XR's. The 250s weigh about 250, the 400s are 265, and the 600 is about 280. That's without a full gas tank. If you just want to ride trails any of them have enough juice. If you want to haul ass in the desert, there is no replacement for displacement. Suspension wise the 600 was updated in 90 or 91 and was the same until production ended in 2000. I think all the 400's have the same suspension more or less. The 250's changed several times over the years. I'm not sure of the 250 timeline, but I think all the 90's versions have cartridge forks.

You should have no problem finding a 90's vintage of any of those bikes for $2000 or under.

go two stroke. my '81 YZ125 wieghs 198, '79 cr125 was just over 200. fun fun bikes too!

KDX220 would be good...but it is a two stroke....but light weight

I agree.... The KDX is a very user friendly bike with great performance..

kdx easily is the best bike in that range. it also lugs really good like a 4 stroke.

2 stroke i was going to say but i was afraid to get a smart ass response because you asked for a thumper in a thumper forum.

But you also asked for a light, old, cheap bike......

2 stroke it is.

I rie a 94 or 92 we cant figure it out yet cr 250 its light, fast, and flickeable in the trails/woods. Its also versatile cuse i use it at the track too.

It costed me around $1000 keeping in mind im in mexico and bikes prices here are hell high it was a bargain. And im 100% happy with it.

I agree with those who recommend the KDX. Of all the great trail bikes I've ridden, the KDX's are easily the most fun. They're fast, easy to ride, lug great in the tight stuff, and they're cheap to own and operate.

Don't think you need a thumper to cruise around the woods on. The KDX's are great trail bikes and will cost less to maintain than most thumpers. If 2 strokes just aren't in your future, look to the XR's. An XR 250 would be a very reliable, fun bike.

I used to have a 1995 klx250, very similar to a klx300. It had a claimed dry weight of 232 which was very light for a fourstroke enduro back then. I really liked it but I have never seen another one before, I don't know how many were made.

I might have to think about a 2 stroke. i want torque not rpm's, but it sounds like some of you like 2 strokes in the woods. this is my first year riding any thing on 2 wheels.

why not look at old mx bikes, like a mid nineties 2 stroke.

i had a 1995 cr125, and i had a blast with it in the woods. Sure youve gotta rev them a little, but you get used to it.

the reason i recommend one, is that you could probly find a nice deal because mx bikes are abundant.

i saw a cr125 like my old one for sale down there for like 900obo

i hope you have fun with whatever you find.

You have to rev a 125 2 stroke but a mid nineties 250 2 stroke will have enough pull for you to ride the woods.

Like i said before i ride a 94 or 92 250 cr and it serves me fine.

I hope that you have fun with whatever bike you get that`s the important thing.

I'm 5'10" and weigh considerably more than you , and ride a KDX200 which you can get used in your price range ....There is a LOT you do to it, but works very well in stock form for your weight ...It does ride a LOT like a 4 stroke as you don't have to keep it constantly revving ....It will lug in the tight woods like a 4 stroke and is only 223 lbs .... It's a really fun bike and very easy to keep running ...

Another considerably more expensive and a little bit heavier bike would be a KTM300 which is ANOTHER 2 stroke that thinks it's a 4 stroke ...You can be very tame with it , but it can also be an animal when you jump on it ...It's one bike I would like to get myself ....4 strokes do NOT equate to low weight ..Good Luck ....Sincerely, Jim

I will second the KDX recommendation. There is also a great deal of support / enthusiasts around, especially over on dirtrider.net.

Some other bikes to consider are WR250 and Suzuki RMX250 up to '98 models. You *might* find a WR250 under $2k in 99/00 model years, but the older 2 strokes will walk all over them.

Here's a nice looking RMX I've been watching on egay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220038537256&rd=1,1