Sign in to follow this  

can any bike be made street legal?

can basically any bike be made street legal with a kit? Is it only 4 strokes or can a 2 stroke be made legal with lights and a plate? That seems like a better option than buying a dual sport.

Any feedback appreciated.

Seems like it really depends on and varies from state to state.

In texas you will have few problems putting a plate on anything. I plated a yz250, a cr250, and a wr426 while I was out there. It is alot of fun pulling up next to a constable on a plated smoker, I highly recommend it :thumbsup:

FYI constables are kinda like sheriffs in case you where curious

Here in NY you can register bikes like the KTM exc, or other enduros, but you can't register them for highway use. I do believe they get the same type of tag as the 4 wheelers do, red numbers on the tag.

Buy or borrow the necessary lights and get the bike inspected. Depending on where you go they are very, very easy with the inspection. I did a bike with road reflectors glued aproximately where the lights should have been and a 9volt round light (the round kind you push to turn on) stuck under the brake line over the numberplate. passed no problem.

You have a shop that will pass a bike this easy in whatever Texas town you live in, good luck.

I have plated a YZ250 and a KX500 two stroke in my state just as easily as my 650R, my CRF50F is about to be plated too :thumbsup: A two stroke in the woods is kind of a pita since you have to premix the gas when your buddies on the thumpers can just stop and fillup. You could always keepa calculator and just figure out how many ounces to add to the tank or whatnot based on how much you pumped.

Just to clear up a common misconception: plated and street legal are not the same. In some states (e.g., Ohio), you can plate anything as long as you're willing to sign an affidavit stating that it meets six or seven criteria. Does that mean you won't get a ticket two miles down the road? Heck no! (And you might get in trouble with that affidavit, too.)

And, that's the way it should be. It's screwed up that we try to make BMV chicks law enforcement officers. Leave it to the cops, as far as I'm concerned.