Sign in to follow this  

Non master-clip O-RIng chain

I got a DID 520-V O Ring chain and when I went to install it i messed up the clip type master link. I bought a 520V master link from the motorcycle shop but this one doesnt seem to have a clip? Does it just press on? I am not familiar with this kind.

It's probably a rivet link. You need a chain riveter to install it.

AHh ok. I wouldnt have any luck with vise grips or a pair of channel locks? How about a small c clamp modified to fit inbetween the two pins? I am a bit low on money and time today.

I don't recommend this but:

Take your hammer and a hardened steel punch and peen the metal pins over. This will require that the master link have a hard surface to work against on the back side. Wear safety glasses because you are dealing with hard metals that may fracture.

Be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that the metal pins have mushroomed out so the side plate cannot come off. Losing a chain in a high speed turn or approaching a double wouldn't be a pretty sight.

If you have any doubts on this go get somebody that has some experience with this.

Take care, Bill.

There are some inexpensive tools available for the press on, clipless links. Motion Pro has one. I think they're only about $12-$15. They're basically just a mini-press/clamp. You might even need one to get the clip type link on. They are readily available at most motorcycle shops. If you use the mini-press, make sure you don't press it on too tight. It will squirt the O-ring right out of it. After it's on you should definitely peen the pins for safety.

The alternative is to go get a clip type link. I have a DID 520VMX chain on mine. It came with a clipless link. I had to order the clip type link to fit it. Most shops should have a clip type 520 link. Depending on the type of bike your putting this on, you may need to make sure the master link will clear the case. The Honda CRF450X comes stock with a narrower chain than the DID520VMX. The clearance on the case is minimal. The DID VMX chain will fit, barely, but a thicker master link may not clear. The DID master link clears okay on my CRF450X, but it's ever so close.

AHh ok. I wouldnt have any luck with vise grips or a pair of channel locks? How about a small c clamp modified to fit inbetween the two pins? I am a bit low on money and time today.

Thats what i did and it seems to have worked. It was kinda of a pain though because one side would snap on at a time and be crooked. If you dont know what you're doing I could see how someone could mess this up. Also I used an air hammer to musrhoom out the link.