Sign in to follow this  

Accessing The Carb!

Hi guys,

I've got a 2006 DRZ 400 SM, due to UK biking laws i have a 33 bhp restrictor fitted to my bike. Its a cap that goes on the carb, and i have the standard cap. Im thinking of putting the standard 1 back on but i want to know how easy it is to access the carb.

Does the tank have to come off? or is there a more simple way around it?

Cheers :thumbsup:

First, welcome to the "Madhouse"

Not sure what this cap you refer to is, but in general the carb is easy to work on.

Some people find it hard to remove, others have no problem.

Can you post a picture of this part ??

If it is the top cap, it is a 10 minute job, if the carb has to come out, it is still less than an hours work.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

Tank has to come off to do much of anything to this bike, but it's simple. I'm not familiar with the restrictor you are talking about - if you have to take the carb completely off to replace it, it may take 1 or 2 hours the first time you do it. It gets a lot quicker the next time around. I can now pull the carb, replace jets, and reinstall in about 20 minutes. For me, I learned that it goes a lot easier if you remove the back half of the pipe and the oil breather box - that gives you more room to get your hands in to disconnect the throttle cables and adjust the rubber boots when you are putting it back together. Some people like to disconnect the subframe as well, to make sneaking the carb out of the boots even easier, but I haven't found that to be neccessary.

it comes off really easy with practice and goes on just as easy. leave the boot between the carb and the cylinder in place line up the boot and give it a good shove. mine slips right in. no bolts to loosten nothing to unbolt other than the carb. I am speaking of the S carb dont know if yall get the fcr on the other side of the pond.

sorry it is the pumper style motocross carb that the DRZ400E comes with in the US most of the time. The environmental agencies have mandated a different carb for the DRZ400S and the California version of the DRZ400E. The California carb is a vacum type carb and is not as responsive as the FCR style carb.

From what I understand the FCR may have larger physical dimentions. I read of people needing to unbolt the subframe to attach a carb and I assume they mean the larger (?) FCR because the vacum carb that comes on the S bike is easy to push back in.

Thanks for all the replys guys! I am seriously suprised how quickly i got replies!

:cry:

:ride::thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replys guys! I am seriously suprised how quickly i got replies!

:crazy:

:cry::thumbsup:

We aim to please :ride:

From the pic you sent me, I can confirm it is a Mikuni BSR carb, and you

are talking about the diaphragm cover, nice easy job.

Neil. :ride::ride::ride:

PS: e-mail sent.