Sign in to follow this  

too noisy. failed MOT

Failed my MOT test today on the following point. :thumbsup:

"Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar motor bicycle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition."

I've searched and found a good post fron Neil Claydon suggesting that a guy with a similar prob wrapped his spark arrestor up like a baffle to take the edge off of it. I mentioned this to the guy at the test centre and he agreed on principle but was a bit worried that the increased back pressure would quickly cause me problems. I'm only looking for a quick fix to get it through the test and then I can take it back out.

Any ideas? It's the standard european E pipe which I gather is a lot louder than the american one. Do we get any more power for all the extra noise?

Failed my MOT test today on the following point. :ride:

"Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar motor bicycle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition."

I've searched and found a good post from Neil Claydon suggesting that a guy with a similar prob wrapped his spark arrestor up like a baffle to take the edge off of it. I mentioned this to the guy at the test centre and he agreed on principle but was a bit worried that the increased back pressure would quickly cause me problems. I'm only looking for a quick fix to get it through the test and then I can take it back out.

Any ideas? It's the standard European E pipe which I gather is a lot louder than the American one. Do we get any more power for all the extra noise?

First if it's an E silencer on an E, he is wrong, he cannot fail it, appeal.

If like me, it's on an S, just go elsewhere.

Mine passed as it is, no problem, but he is a sensible tester.

In Law, if it does not say on it, "Not for street use" it is down to the testers discretion.

Where are you, if it helps I still have my old S system, or I may know a tester who can help.

Or just wrap the spark arrester up with glass cloth, do it round the corner from the test station, and take it out straight after the pass.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::cry:

Cheers Neil. I couldn't see how he could fail it but like you said, it is at the testers discretion. I'm down in Cornwall, there are some guys who've opened up a new Suzuki dealership about 30 miles away and they all ride enduro. If my local tester won't play ball with the glass cloth trick I reckon I'll blast down to the dealers. No way the people who sell the thing can fail it is there?

Right, so it's an E silencer on an E.

Your tester is talking total boll:censored:, tell him it's the standard system and unless it appears very rusty and has a leak, he has to pass it, or you will appeal.

An appeal will cost him time and grief, and could cost him a suspension of his MOT ticket, till he goes on a refresher course.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

PS: Have you pulled the spark arrester out of the pipe, it should have 1 turn of thin glass cloth round it, as standard, well mine did when I bought it.

No rust, no leaks, system looks perfect. Haven't pulled the arrestor out yet so I've no idea whether it has a single wrap or not. I think I will make a token effort to wrap the thing up a bit, and if he still won't have it then I'll start telling him how it is. I'll post again if I don't have any luck with him. Cheers.

I assume this is a sound check type test. While this is a reach, I have a hot rod (car) with basically open exhaust and just a baffle in there. To quiet it down I've taken coarse steel wool and packed that in there. Cheap and easy to remove later. Best of luck.

I have used the steel wool trick myself. never bothered removing it as a few minutes on the trail will blow it out.

I don't know how the MOT works but the E bike in European trim is very loud (essentially no muffler) and was not sold for street use. So I can easily see why the MOT tester would fail it. I would. If you are converting an E for street use, why not put a decent muffler on it? Does the European E muffler give more power? Someone with a European E will have to answer that.

I don't know how the MOT works but the E bike in European trim is very loud (essentially no muffler) and was not sold for street use. So I can easily see why the MOT tester would fail it. I would. If you are converting an E for street use, why not put a decent muffler on it? Does the European E muffler give more power? Someone with a European E will have to answer that.

MOT = Ministry of Transport, it is just an inspection, much like yours I assume.

The exhaust issue can be a pain.

The regulations say, it must not say "Not For Road Use" or "Race Only".

The noise level is up to the tester, no sound meter, just his common sense.

But no matter how noisy, if it is a standard silencer it must pass, provided it is in good order.

The other thing that catches people out is the indicator issue, post 1985 (I think) must have flashers, unless it is a dirt bike designed to carry 1 person,

or is a motorcycle combination (sidecar) designed for the dirt that carries 1 rider, and 1 passenger in the chair.

Does a UK E silencer give more power, OH YES. (why do you think I run one)

Is it noisy, yes.

Is it legal on the road, yes.

All an E needs to be daylight legal is a brake light (both brakes) and horn.

Any dirt bike sold in the UK (except pit bikes etc.) is road legal.

Neil.

Even some pit bikes, i.e. Thumpster can be plated.

THose rules are so loose it ain't funny, I am so jelous (sp?). I can't even convert a bike that wasn't meant for the street anymore.

Unfortunatly Neil, the 400e, in Europe, is sold for 'Offroad use only' (as stamped on the headstock). If you decide to roadregister and MOT it, it is up to you to provide legal lights, safety gear and exhaust, which is obviously not intended for highway use. Even in Gibraltar, in spitting distance of the third world, I had to do the wire wool trick, to get it through its initial inspection when new.

My bike is actually quieter with the Yosh (with spud), than the standard system.

E bikes sold in the US are clearly marked on the motorcycle, MFO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin) and State Title papers, "For off Road use Only". If you can dirt bikes past a MOT inspection, that is pretty cool, but I still think it needs decent muffler. If a manufacturer does not install a muffler because the intended purpose does not require it, then why should MOT have to accept it for a different purpose? Isn't it the purpose of a MOT inspection to assure roadworthiness? And isn't a decent muffler part of being roadworthy? Sorry, just trying to apply logic - doesn't always work.

It is logical, but if the dealers are sending them out the door, plated up for the road and ready to go with the stock noisy pipe on, surely they must be alright.

Were you sold it new, and told that it was fully road legal?

I asked for a 400e because I wanted the better cams, carb, compression etc, but I did know that it would be legally dubious. I'm suprised, knowing that the UK is stricter on noise than they are down here, that you really thought the exhaust was fit for road use. I was always a litle embarrised using the standard pipe on the road, especially at night.

ANyway, I'm sure that with 10 minutes work, an MOT wont be too difficult. :thumbsup:

BTW..my 400e also came with Dunlop 756 tyres. Great equipment, but definatly not road legal. No MOT with those fitted either.

It is logical, but if the dealers are sending them out the door, plated up for the road and ready to go with the stock noisy pipe on, surely they must be alright.

The E is legal over here, as it comes, which does include lights but no indicators.

Yes the exhaust is noisy, but it is also the standard item.

When you register a new E for the road, it is inspected, which for a new bike is valid for 3 years.

The problems start when going back for re-test at the end of year 3.

But the problems are the interpretation of the rules by the tester, not the bike being illegal.

Just need to remember that there are special rules for dirt bikes.

And an S is not considered to be a dirt bike, so needs indicators and a legal exhaust.

The question though is what is legal, my E system is loud, but past OK, mainly because the tester is used to doing lots of Supermoto's and Dirt bikes, both new and old.

Neil.