Sign in to follow this  

Hip Replacement

Hi Dr. Mark, I had Total Hip Replacement Surgery on my right hip about 3 weeks ago. My surgeon doesn't seem to be too worried about me riding dirt bikes, thank goodness, riding is my love and passion, next to my wife. My question to you is, have you heard of and do you know where I can find a hip brace/ guard? I'd like something that would cover the femur from the hip down to or close to the knee. Something to spread the load if I fall on the right side so that I have less of a chance of breaking any thing. Your help would be appreciated. :thumbsup::ride:

Have a look at the inner armour "girdle" on some hockey pants

Hey Killer, I did some checking and found exactly what I was looking for, thanks again for the tip. :thumbsup::ride:

Keep us posted on your progress, when your DR. releases you to ride, how it feels, etc. Just had my knee done, a week ago. PM or email if you like.

Mike

Keep us posted on your progress, when your DR. releases you to ride, how it feels, etc. Just had my knee done, a week ago. PM or email if you like.

Mike

Will do. Yeah, so far I'm doing pretty well. I don't know about you but I'm board to tears. I have a group ride at the end of October ( In Nevada) that I'm going to and I'll probably ride then (easy ride) but we'll see. Good luck to you and a speedy recovery. :thumbsup::ride:

Mike

Well, it's been a little over 8 weeks since my surgery, and I started riding around in the yard about 3 weeks ago (real easy) and damn do I feel great. I have been it the gym exercising allot and I'm ready to hit the trail. I really excited to get back out there because I'm all fixed up now, and I've got some new additions to my bike I want to try out and show off. Now the only thing we need is some rain to knock down the dust so I can get my buddies to go riding. As far as I'm concerned, if any of you out there are contemplating on having you hip replaced, go for it. I know it's made my life much better and I can still ride. :thumbsup::applause:

I am at 7.5 weeks post surgery and today I started the YZ426. Cheated by wearing a knee brace, but what the hell last week I could barley get it to roll over. As mundane an accomplishment as that seems, for me a great milestone. Been doing the PT thing and swimming with a passion. Probably wait till next week before I hit the dirt. Absolutely amazing how the muscles atrophy when not used correctly. Hoping the persistent pain will go away soon.

Absolutely amazing how the muscles atrophy when not used correctly.

You ain't lyin. My right quad muscle was mush for weeks but it's coming back now. Yea, I'm hoping to get on the trail real soon. Well, good luck to you and let me know how your first ride goes. I'll do the same. :thumbsup::applause:

My dad had both of his hips replaced 2 years ago. He did them 6 months apart, and was back logging which is pretty tough work within 3 months of each surgery. Hip replacement surgeries are amazing from where they were a few years ago. He was up walking the same day as the surgery, and hasnt had any issues in the last 2 years.

Yesterday, after 8.5 wks post op on total knee replacement I went trails riding. Took it easy, avoided the steep loose hills and tight rocky sand washes, still busted my ass a few times, but by riding with moderation and keeping my foot on the peg, it seemed to work out well. Today sore as hell, must be some muscles that are not being addressed in PT. The knee still hurts, but that is supposed to go away after another month or so. When first starting out, being fresh I was able to place my rt foot on the kicker without any assistance (before the replacement I had to hoist the leg up by pulling in my pants to get my foot on the kicker). Still a bit weak on the starting kick, but things are looking up. At this juncture, for the condition my knee was in, ALL worn out, this TKR is a good go. :thumbsup: Probably wait a week before I try again, more exersise and PT should help.

Yesterday, after 8.5 wks post op on total knee replacement I went trails riding. Took it easy, avoided the steep loose hills and tight rocky sand washes, still busted my ass a few times, but by riding with moderation and keeping my foot on the peg, it seemed to work out well. Today sore as hell, must be some muscles that are not being addressed in PT. The knee still hurts, but that is supposed to go away after another month or so. When first starting out, being fresh I was able to place my rt foot on the kicker without any assistance (before the replacement I had to hoist the leg up by pulling in my pants to get my foot on the kicker). Still a bit weak on the starting kick, but things are looking up. At this juncture, for the condition my knee was in, ALL worn out, this TKR is a good go. :applause: Probably wait a week before I try again, more exersise and PT should help.

Hey great for you. I think it's time for you to do like I did and get a bike with e-start. :thumbsup: sweet. I'm still waiting to get out. All of my buddies have been busy so I haven't had a chance to ride. I'm hoping to get out a couple of times before our big ride at the Winnemucca Dry lake beds at the end of next month. Well, I'm glad to see your feeling good and are able to ride. Us Bionic guys have gotta keep going and show all of these kids how its done :applause: . :applause::applause::ride:

At the 9 wk mark and the weekends ride did me no good, seems to hurt while walking around, might wait a few weeks to try again. Probably too much too soon, but Damn, what a rush.

Well, its been 11 weeks since my hip surgery and this past Sunday I took my wife out on her new Quad for a couple of hours and man let me tell ya, I felt fantastic, no pain what so ever not even the next day. I felt strong and comfortable riding. I am so jazzed I can't stand it. I'm looking forward to a great riding season. :thumbsup::lame::p:bonk:

Fantastic!!! You gotta love technology and the Docs who keep putting our aged pieces together. I laid off last weekend, but boredom got the best of me so I ordered a Stehely(sp?) 12 oz flywheel weight for the 01 YZF 426, hoping to put it in this week (if it gets here). Trying to tame the sky climbing beast. The knee still hurts, although not as much, some say about the 3 mo mark it should quit. Damn hope so.

Well good luck on your endeavors and keep the greasy side down.

i was visiting a customer of mine today, Mr. Roberts, he's in charge of Unadilla's track. next week, he's going to have his hip replaced due to a horrible accident that occured while working on the track. Like alot of you, i enjoy a great race there every year and that's the man that's responsible for doing alot of it, including getting the stones out. wish him luck, thanks.

i was visiting a customer of mine today, Mr. Roberts, he's in charge of Unadilla's track. next week, he's going to have his hip replaced due to a horrible accident that occured while working on the track. Like alot of you, i enjoy a great race there every year and that's the man that's responsible for doing alot of it, including getting the stones out. wish him luck, thanks.

Send him my regards. Tell him it's a piece of cake and depending on which procedure he is going in for, he should be as good as new in no time. :thumbsup::lame::p

yeah, the last thing he said to me was that his doc does 5 or 6 of them every week. if i wore underwear, i wouldn't change it that much; this guy is replacing hips like they're spark plugs. DIFFERENT!

As i sit here looking over the first MRI from the doctors... When a picture of one hip is black and one is white I know i have a problem. I broke my hip in a motocross accident 2.5 yrs ago at the age of 37. I was put back together the same day with a plate, 4 screws and a long screw.. 2 years later , pain , pain pain...... so, i had it taken out. I thought the pain would go away. Well, it didn't. Now, I'm shattered... NO more bikes? no more stand up jetski? no more skiing? These are all questions i have right now. My doc wont see me for another week. I've been searching the net to see what i still might be able to do. Then I thought of Thumpertalk... haha... right there it was.. someone else had the same sorta issues... please, lets keep in touch or i would like your email.. ive got alot of questions... Heck, i wanted to get a new bike soon...

As i sit here looking over the first MRI from the doctors... When a picture of one hip is black and one is white I know i have a problem. I broke my hip in a motocross accident 2.5 yrs ago at the age of 37. I was put back together the same day with a plate, 4 screws and a long screw.. 2 years later , pain , pain pain...... so, i had it taken out. I thought the pain would go away. Well, it didn't. Now, I'm shattered... NO more bikes? no more stand up jetski? no more skiing? These are all questions i have right now. My doc wont see me for another week. I've been searching the net to see what i still might be able to do. Then I thought of Thumpertalk... haha... right there it was.. someone else had the same sorta issues... please, lets keep in touch or i would like your email.. ive got alot of questions... Heck, i wanted to get a new bike soon...

By all means, PM me with any questions and I'll be happy to help.